Remembering Reusable Shopping Bags

Even though I'm doing better at remembering to bring my reusable bags with me when I shop, I still forget! And when I'm in a hurry and don't have time to run back to my car to get them (I try to park pretty far away from the store for added exercise), it's maddening!

To "punish" myself (in the hope of helping me to remember the bags "next" time!), after the items are scanned into the register, I ask the bagger to just put the items back into my cart - without putting them in paper or plastic bags. When I get to my car, I then have to take the time to put the items in the reusable bags I have in the car.

I'm hoping I'll only have to do this a few more times to totally remember to bring the bags with me!

By caseye from Allen, TX

I love your clever idea! I rarely ever forget mine but next time I do I'll be using your tip! :-)

We always have a supply of cloth shopping bags in the trunk so there's no forgetting. Maybe you should keep your shopping bags with you in your car, so you can't miss 'em.

I lived in CA for 18 years, my two daughters still do. When IKEA moved in we all shopped there.

I moved to Ohio, visited daughters in '09. We shopped at IKEA. They were selling blue, reinforced plastic bags for really cheap. Unfolded it's huge, with both hand straps and shoulder straps. It is indestructible.

In Canton I shop at Aldi, which doesn't bag purchases, the cashiers simply scan and dump items into your cart. Customer must insert a quarter to unlock each cart outside the store. You get your quarter back when you return the cart to the rack.

After finishing shopping I transfer items from cart to the Ikea bag in my car trunk. I would estimate that sometimes I've toted 60 pounds or so into the house using that bag's straps on my shoulder. I understand that many people can't carry that much weight, but it surely saves steps.

A bag like that comes in handy other ways too, of course.

I put my handbag inside my reusable bags, that way I won't forget.

I also used to have a hard time remembering to take the bags with me to the stores. Now, after I unload my bags in the house, I hang them on the front door handle, so the next time I go out to the car, I can remember to put them in the back of the car. I ask the store baggers not to use their plastic bags at the checkout, (just load the groceries into the cart) and then i use my own reusable bags when I get to the car, to unload the groceries in the cart into my bags. (I like to load my own bags, as the baggers at the stores do not always load them as I would like).

My hubby does most of our shopping and frequently uses a strategy like yours. He's older and parks closer, though, lol! Once when he forgot to put the reusable bags back in our van, he simply piled the groceries on the floor of the van and bagged them when he got home. Whatever works!

April 11, 2011 Flag

Time after time, I get to the checkout only to realize I've left the cloth bags in the trunk of the car or at home. Here's how you can remember to bring them. When you get ready to leave the house, immediately put your purse or your wallet in one of the bags. When you get to the parking lot, you are sure to grab it and the bags along with it!

Source: A tip from a cashier after I confessed that I had forgotten my bags!

By Renee from Boston, MA

Remembering Reusable Shopping Bags

Great suggestion, and one I intend to put into practice at my next grocery stop. Thanks. (03/22/2011)

By WeeWillie

Remembering Reusable Shopping Bags

I'm with Wee Willie! But I have to confess, hubby's come up with his own singular twist on this problem? he just loads the loose groceries in the floor of the van. When we get home, he goes in to fetch the bag/s to fill from there. Not ideal, I know, but that's a guy for you. :P (03/22/2011)

By JustPlainJo

black shopping bag filled with fruit, veggies, and loaves of bread
Remembering Reusable Shopping Bags
Consumer Advice Shopping Grocery ShoppingApril 11, 2011
Making a Reusable Shopping Bag
Making a Reusable Shopping Bag
Oranges in Mesh Bag
Uses for Mesh Orange Bags
Reusable Shopping Bag
Homemade Reusable Shopping Bags
Green Reusable Shopping Bag
Using Reusable Shopping Bags