Bread Machine Sandwich Bread

I just purchased a used bread machine. I've made some very tasty bread so far and love having the machine. What I don't seem to be able to do is make a good sandwich bread. If you have a recipe that makes good sandwich bread, please share with me.

I've tried several recipes where the flavor has been great, but when sliced and made into a sandwich, I can't lift it to my mouth without it somewhat falling apart. It's like it's not substantial enough. What's the secret? Thanks.

Tina from Ashland, OR

All American White Bread 1 lb loaf

3/4 C milk

1 T butter/margerine

2 C flour

1 T sugar

1/2 t salt

1 t yeast

Add ingedients to machine in order yours calls for. Use normal cycle, or dough cycle. If using dough cycle, let rise til doubled in size in loaf pan. Bake 30 mins at 350 degrees.

White Bread 1 lb loaf

1/2 C water

2 T butter/margerine

1 egg

1 1/2 T sugar

3/4 t salt

2 C flour

2 1/2 T powdered milk

1 t yeast

Add ingred. to machine in order yours calls for. Use basic or dough cycle. If using dough cycle, let rise til doubled in size in loaf pan. Bake 30 mins at 350 degrees.

Both make good sandwich breads. Be sure to cool completely on a rack, and slice about 1/2" thick.

My Toastmaster machine calls for starting with the liquid and ending with the yeast. I usually use the dough cycle, transferring the dough to a loaf pan, letting it rise once, then baking.

The best book for bread machine recipes I have found is The Bread Machine Cookbook by Donna Rathnell German, Bristol Publishing, 1991.

I do the same thing Jean does; mix it in the bread machine but use the dough cycle and take it out, let it raise on counter and then bake. Maybe one of the reasons you have trouble with it being crumbly is that your recipe does not have enough oil or butter or whatever fat you are using. If you go to allrecipes.com you will find so many bread machine recipes.

I don't have a recipe, but I'd bet that if you added additional gluten (like a tablespoon or 2), it would hold together better. Be sure you use bread flour, of course.

Hi, use milk instead of water, don't use the powdered milk. ALso, I always use olive oil instead of margarine. I toss all my dry ingredients in, top it with wet ingredients, give a swirl with a knife and I always use the dough cycle. The dough cycle and dumped out to raise covered for a short spell will give you 3 loaves, vs the one baked. Think of the concentrated carbs you are saving.

Make loaf of the dough, or use the dough for pizza, other bread things you want to create. Have lots of recipes tried and true for the bread machine. I don't use the ones in the books.

My suggestion is to use a little less yeast so the bread won't rise quite as much. That will give you a smaller, more compact loaf that might hold together better.

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Breads Bread MachineSeptember 18, 2008
Gluten free bread in a bread machine.
Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipes
bread loaf in a bread machine pan
Keeping Bread From Sticking in a Bread Machine
Bread Machine
Recipes Using All Purpose Flour in Bread Machine
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
🎉
🎄