Saving Money on Cell Phone Service

I have a cell phone that I use for business purposes and have an unlimited plan that is very expensive. I have found out through my service provider (Verizon) that they offer a favorite five like another company. I am now in the process of finding out who my top five is that isn't with Verizon, so I won't get dinged minutes for talking to them as well.

In addition, I have now started to forward all of my cell phone calls to my home phone while I am working from home. This should cut down a lot of my time that I talk during the day, so I should be able to easily cut my cell phone minutes in 1/2! Forwarding the calls are free! I have to have a home phone since we have DSL for our internet connection.

By Jahummell from Shellsburg, IA

Other money saving cell phone tips.

With some services you are charged outside your purchased plan for text messages sent AND received. I have Verizon and noticed these extra charges on my bill for text messages that had been advertisements sent to me. I never text, I called Verizon and had text messaging turned off.

I saved money with Verizon when I signed up by asking if they had any turned in "swapped" phones for resale. I bought a very basic no thrills phone (which was what I wanted) for $69. Because I had my own phone I did not have to have a service contract, my contract is strictly by month. My bill is $49. If I had taken a new phone, with more features than I would ever use, my bill would have been $69 a month for the life of the required 2 year contract. That phone would have cost me roughly $480 by the end of my contract.

When I signed up I asked for a local number to where I work not my home. I get more calls when I am away in the city where I work than I do the city where I live. My local calls are free, my occasional calls when I am home come off my alotted time. But calling in to work sick is a freebie :)

With Verizon anyone you call who has Verizon is free. If there are 6 cell phone carriers that you can possibly call 1 in 6 will be a free call. I call mostly my brother, sister and Pastor the most out of all my calls. They are all Verizon - no charge any day any time.

Verizon like most companies (I think) gives you free calls at night and on weekends.

Check with your provider and find out how you can save.

If you're a senior you can get deals on you cell phone plan as well. Verizon has a 65 or older plan with not as many monthly minutes but it is a fair price per month. I have no idea what the per minute charge is over your plan because I have never gotten close to going over mine.

I pay $49 a month for my plan and get 450 minutes. I have yet to go over 200 minutes on any given month since I have had the phone (bought back in Nov '98).

I am not a rep of Verizon, I don't have their stock and I don't get any kick backs for phones sold. I am just a happy customer.

One warning with Verizon. They will try to give you a sweet deal on upgrading your phone. It comes with a "start all over again" contract. And BTW: internet on a cell phone usually costs more too. I don't know for sure I don't have it.