Plants Damaged By Cold

We had the coldest weather a couple of weeks ago that hasn't been seen here in 100 years. It was below freezing after we had temps in the 80's. Everything was starting to leaf out and get buds, unfortunately the cold zapped most everything. What should I do about the shrubs, and butterfly bushes that now are black? Should I trim the black away or leave it and see what happens? We are finally in spring now. Thank you so much for your help.

Kathy from Huntsville, AL

I use to place clear thick plastic bags over my potted pants and turn them into mini glass houses. Make sure you water them well first and place them in an area that gets some sun. The water evaporates onto the plastic and drips down onto the plant creating a never ending cycle. The plastic creates a warm atmosphere for the plant and prevents them from getting frost bitten.

hi we were hit down here in zone 8 also.so i pinched off all the affected leaves and some of our stuff came back and others died completly so i took them out.i would check with the nursery though cause my mums die off in winter and i clip back and they come back in spring

Patience, my child. Some of them will recover, and some won't. Before you cut anything back check with your county's agricultural agent for advice. You really need to wait to see if your whole bush leafs out. If it does, uou're in good shape. If not, just cut back the dead branches.

Thank you so much for the help!! Looks like most of them are looking better now. The only one I have major problems with is my gardenia. It was so beautiful and bloomed constantly. I sure hope it bounces back.

Thanks again!

Home and Garden Gardening Plant HealthApril 17, 2007
Applying putty to a damaged portion of a painted wall.
Fixing Damaged Paint on Walls
Crocheting
Repairing Damaged Crochet Items
Computer
Computer Won't Start in Cold Weather
Keeping Drinks Cold at a Wedding, Punch in a punch bowl.
Keeping Drinks Cold at a Wedding
🎉
🎄