Painting Outdoor Swing Fabric

I have an outside upholstered swing. The fabric is connected to the main part of the swing it is looking very weathered. I have been thinking about trying to paint it. I have read a little about it. Does the textile medium added to regular washable interior paints really work on fabrics? I don't know what type of fabric it is, some sort of weather resistant fabric. I suppose any help or ideas would be appreciated .

Linda from Hartley, IA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Pack your swing in the back of your truck and take it to a self-service car wash. Spray your swing or lawn chairs with the high powered washer guns.

Can the swing be taken down and disassembled? If so, use the old fabric as a pattern, get some new fabric made for outdoor furniture and make a new piece. I have a feeling that the present fabric may be plastic/nylon mix that wouldn't hold the paint unless you wanted to try that new paint for plastics by Krylon called "Fusion". Otherwise, since I assume when you say weathered you mean faded and yellowed rather than dirty, replacing might be the best bet.

A quick fix would be to make or buy a cushion or pillows to cover the worn area, but the best idea is to remove the old fabric--even if it means cutting it off-- and make or have made new ones.

Answer

Home and Garden Repair Home MiscellaneousMarch 19, 2008
Stack of Fabric Remnants
Crafts Using Fabric Remnants
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Making a Rope Swing
Making a Rope Swing
Patio Swing
Replacing Canopy on a Patio Swing
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 25, 2016 at 4:34:29 PM on 10.0.2.141 in 984 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.