Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Painting Outdoor Swing Fabric

I have an outside upholstered swing. The fabric is connected to the main part of the swing it is looking very weathered. I have been thinking about trying to paint it. I have read a little about it. Does the textile medium added to regular washable interior paints really work on fabrics? I don't know what type of fabric it is, some sort of weather resistant fabric. I suppose any help or ideas would be appreciated .

Linda from Hartley, IA

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Vickie Kibellus03/24/2008

A quick fix would be to make or buy a cushion or pillows to cover the worn area, but the best idea is to remove the old fabric--even if it means cutting it off-- and make or have made new ones.

By Mary Lou [14]03/20/2008

Can the swing be taken down and disassembled? If so, use the old fabric as a pattern, get some new fabric made for outdoor furniture and make a new piece. I have a feeling that the present fabric may be plastic/nylon mix that wouldn't hold the paint unless you wanted to try that new paint for plastics by Krylon called "Fusion". Otherwise, since I assume when you say weathered you mean faded and yellowed rather than dirty, replacing might be the best bet.

By TJ (Guest Post)03/19/2008

Pack your swing in the back of your truck and take it to a self-service car wash. Spray your swing or lawn chairs with the high powered washer guns.