Coring Iceberg Lettuce

Our family eats a lot of salad, even during the winter months when the price of iceberg lettuce is more expensive. After trying many ways to keep it fresh, I have found that if you remove the core, completely wrap the head of lettuce in aluminum foil, and keep in the crisper section of the refrigerator, it will last for weeks.

My mother-in-law gave me this tip and I was amazed to see how well it works. Now if the stores run lettuce on sale, I stock up!

By Janet from Liberty, TX

To easily remove the core, pound the core of the lettuce on the counter top then you can easily twist it loose and pull it out. I learned this trick at a Tupperware party many years ago.

The lettuce knives (plastic) are wonderful for cutting lettuce.

I switched to leafy lettuce a few years back and have almost nil waste with this lettuce and to us it tastes much better than iceberg. There is no bitterness to it. Good luck

I also use the slam and twist method of removing the core. That's what I do immediately before washing the lettuce. I run the water inside the core and let it come out. Then I remove only the outside leaves, and put the whole thing in a lettuce saver. I'm not much on gadgets, but I love my lettuce saver. It keeps lettuce good for an amazingly long time because there's not much sitting on the surface of the lettuce. In a pinch, I also tried the tin-foil method and it did really work! I just went back to the keeper to keep from using tin foil. The tin foil takes up less space, though, in a smaller fridge, in my opinion, so that might be a consideration.

I also found that cutting lettuce makes a lot more go to waste and get that nasty brown to it if you don't eat a ton. We eat both ice burn and leaf here because I do really like iceberg's coldness and the crunch/water effect, particularly with a thick slice of a good tomato on a sandwich! :)

A head of lettuce.
Coring Lettuce
Food and Recipes Food Tips VegetablesJanuary 5, 2011
A variety of lettuce.
Storing Lettuce
Iceberg Lettuce
Growing Iceberg Lettuce
Head of green leaf lettuce.
Washing Lettuce
Lettuce growing in a box.
Growing Lettuce