Hair Has Become Dry And Gray

I am a 36 yrs old married lady. My hair was thick and black when I was in college. Over the last 20 yrs it has become very dry, thin and gray. It is continuing to grow but it is becoming more white too. Does anyone have advice for me for how to maintain my hair like my old golden days?

Heena

I suppose by maintain you mean restore color? Maybe you'd want to really think about that if that's what you meant. I personally don't see any problem with grey hair (see my profile!) and wonder what all those 50 and 60 year old women are going to do when they finally decide not to color anymore. My silver hair (much nicer word than grey!) gets conditioner every day and is silky and shines. Snow on the roof is not an indicator that the fire has gone out!

My hair changed texture when it went, as you said "silver". I had to add a shine/moisturizer product to make it look nice. When I was young and brunette no one ever told me my hair looks nice. Now they do.

Londa

If you only have a little bit of gray or silver (there is a difference between gray and silver) you could use a semi permanent color that matches your current 'darkness' ... I use Clairol Natural Instincts and, as a retired hairstylist who's 54 years old, I promise it's easy to do yourself but be sure to not choose a darker color than your current darkness/depth ... You might even want to start with one or two shades lighter just to be safe ... You mentioned that your hair is not thick like it used to be ... That might be due to vitamin deficiency so be kind to your body, eat right and excercise ...

If you are more than 1/3 gray or silver then I agree with Glenn'sMom and simply leave it be ... No matter what, keep your hair conditioned ...

BTW, I looked at Glenn'sMom's profile as she suggested and her haircolor and hair overall is indeed gorgeous ...

I am going through the very same ordeal you are. I know how you feel. Besides my hair thinning, my skin has become very dry.

I too had beautiful red hair, up until I turned 40, then it began to loose it's luster, it's " bulk " as it thinned and the color began to fade. I have tried every remedy known to man, but to no avail. My dr. took every test he could, ruling out everything.

For three years, I have watched helplessly as my hair thinned to the point where my scalp is showing and I have had to become adventurous with different hair styles in an attempt to cover it up.

One day, as I was at the drug store, I asked the pharmacist if there was an herb I might try. I explained what was happening and he recommended cod liver oil capsules. He explained that cod liver oil is a natural source of vitamin A, (something my body might be lacking ). As I was willing to try almost anything, I agreed to try the cod liver oil for 3 months.

I have been on the vitamin for 4 months now and my hair's shine is back! My adult daughter noticed before I did that my hair is becoming fuller and it is growing! My skin is still dry, but I am holding out hope for that too. I hope knowing that you are not alone and there is hope out there will help you.

I agree with the previous posts, but don't forget that a GOOD CUT is going to help your hair tremendously!

As for me, I couldn't stand the white hairs coming in, and now color my hair every 6 weeks/2 months. It is fun & easy. Alot of people are afraid to start coloring, but there is no reason anyone can't make it work! Have a friend help you get started. Start with your color and then go a few shades lighter to soften and brighten your face. There's nothing wrong with silver hair, but I decided I didn't want it yet. Good luck, and have fun!

I started into that cycle a few years ago. In my case, it was hyperthyroidism (had your thyroid checked?) and a medication I take for my heart. Also, when I got my hair cut yesterday, the stylist suggested massaging tea tree oil or peppermint oil into the scalp to stimulate circulation. I have been using Nioxin, but 5 drops of the oil in my usual conditioner sounds a lot more economical. Good luck!

I just tried a new hair conditioner that I got at Sally's. It is called SILK ELEMENTS, it is really awesome. I am 59 years old and have tried a lot of things. You shampoo and condition hair. Then towel dry. Then you put this in your wet hair. I used a little more than it said to because my hair is dry and very long. My hair is soft and shiny. I love it. It comes in a jar and it is a cream. It also smells great. I paid 10.99 for an 8 ounce jar. It comes in smaller sizes though. Cathy from MA

If your hair is thinning get biotin. Take 5000 micrograms a day. Be careful. Not milligrams, micrograms. Cathy from MA

I have the same exact problems with my hair dry, gray and no shine. I am using dr. miracle products and it seems to work.

Check what you're eating... you might be missing out on vitamins and minerals. Also check your shampoo, if it has "Sodium Lauryl Sulfate" in it, that's drying out your hair. SLS is an industrial cleanser and while it's in many shampoos, it's harsh on hair.

Coloring it is a good start! A good one is the "Ice Cream" hair color. It has excellent pigment. Also, Biolage Deep treatment is excellent weekly treatment. Mayonnaise is the best treatment but does not like colored hair. Mayonnaise alters the color of colored hair but if your hair isn't colored it's a good start.

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips Dry HairAugust 8, 2008
Coloring Gray Hair
Coloring Gray Hair
ARDELL Gray Magic Color Additive
Ardell Gray Magic Color Additive Reviews
gray haired woman
Dyeing My Hair Gray
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
🎄
🍂