Trick or Treating Bag

A white pillow case (or any old one will do) works really well for trick or treating. It holds lots of candy, won't tear and can be seen by motorists when most costumes are dark. They can be decorated to look more festive. For shorter children, they could be cut down shorter or folded inward to half the size.

By Candy from Hector, MN

I found Spongebob Squarepants trick-or-treat bag at Wal-Mart for only 48 cents! (They had everything from Spiderman to Carebears too) I'm going to use that for my daughter's trick-or-treat bag this year since she is Spongebob's #1 fan! :-) I'm also going to use your idea and carry along a pillowcase to use to dump some of the candy is so it won't become too heavy for her to carry.

Our kids are still young and are still using their plastic pumpkin buckets. They don't go to tons of houses yet and those hold plenty! I like the idea of pillow cases and have seen kids using them. There are some cute Halloween tote bags these days too!

I must say I am glad in a way we don't have Halloween here in Australia. Look I mean no disrespect and I love the USA and you are great people but all this emphasis on candy when there is an epidemic of diabetes in children seems irresponsible to me. Sorry if I am being a spoiled sport. Have a great time any way.

There is nothing wrong with Halloween and I am glad we have it! Like everything in life you have to use judgment. My kids did not always like all the candy they got so that was given away. As a parent you have to have sense to know you should give a little out at a time. With my children after lunch or supper they were allowed to pick something out of the bag I had the candy in. I kept the bag up and after a week or so they forgot about it. So my children really didn't get too much candy!

The candy we got, and my kids got, and now my grandchildren get, lasts until Christmas! It is given out by parents a few pieces at a time. Not gobbled down all at once! We always went through the bags of candy and picked out the ones the kids didn't like and the ones they had tons of, and gathered them up to donate to the homeless shelter downtown. They use it to top off cupcakes and put in with the sandwiches they give to the homeless, as a special treat.