Cleaning Windows

Ever wonder how window washers get those skyscrapers so clean and shiny? My son used to be a window washer, here is how they do it! Take a bucket of warm water, add JOY dish soap (only use Joy), and a drop of ammonia if the weather is cold. Apply then squeegee off. Great for windows, mirrors, and bathtub tiles!

Source: My son, now the plumber!

By Jodi from Aurora, CO

To clean windows & mirrors, I use a bit of dishwashing soap (whatever I happen to be using at the time - I've never used Joy) and vinegar mixed in a pail of hot water. I've been using this for years and have always been happy with the result. I use the same mixture (with just warm water) for cleaning my china and crystal, and it makes them really sparkle.

Hmmmm, I wonder what is in Joy in particular to make them shiny. More ammonia perhaps?

January 9, 2011 Flag

To really clean windows and mirrors, fix a solution of 2 quarts water with a squirt of Joy dishwashing detergent, and 1/3 cup blue Parsons, non-streaking ammonia. Wash your window with a washrag and then use a squeegee. Clean your edges with a soft dishtowel.

By Mudger from Guntersville, Al

Cleaning Windows Recipe

Thanks so much for reminding me of a similar recipe from Consumer Reports for glass. It saves a fortune in chemical costs! I prefer to use newspaper for drying, and it all works WELL unless you happen to have been tricked into using other chemicals that "etched or clouded" your glass as I did on one window, and totally ruined it, just like bad detergent in the dishwasher ! Isn't it FUN to learn how to make things that work as well as store-bought and CHEAPER? God bless you. (09/14/2006)

By Lynda

Hand holding a squeegee swiping soap off a window.
Cleaning Windows (Inside and Outside)
Home and Garden Cleaning WindowsJanuary 13, 2011
Mobile Home Windows
Cleaning Mobile Home Windows
Cleaning Windows
Cleaning Lawn Service Chemicals from Windows
Clean Windows With Coffee Filters