A Natural Growing Tree

This year, instead of getting a big cut Christmas tree, my family bought a small one in a pot. This way, we can put it out into the garden for the rest of the year and keep it for several years to come. It's a nice idea if you prefer a real tree to an artificial one, but don't want to have to buy one every year.

By Beth from England

I also like the idea of a buying and using a Christmas tree that I can put in my yard instead of the bottom of the driveway for recyling pick-up.

Live trees, though, don't like being indoors for any length of time, even if they are carefully watered and well ventilated.

We solved the problem of the expense and environmental aspects by purchasing a 3-foot Norfolk pine tree, which essentially is a houseplant that looks like any airy Christmas tree.

Since our living space is small, the smaller tree fits in nicely. It can be placed on a table or small platform.

We decorate it gently with small and light ornaments, one or two strings of lights. Cut pieces of pipe cleaner

affix to the branches nicely without losing needles.

The Norfolk pine is a sturdy plant and looks great all year round.

To make up for the missing aroma of real needle tree, I burn nice pine and hollyberry candles.

Holidays and Parties Christmas Decorations TreeDecember 19, 2006
Picking a Christmas Tree
Picking a Christmas Tree
Making a Christmas Tree Topper
Making a Christmas Tree Topper
Growing a Crepe Myrtle Tree
Growing a Crepe Myrtle Tree
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree