Sticky Rice Recipe

My boyfriend is half Korean and he loves sticky rice. I have tried on numerous occasions to make it and it never turns out well. Please someone help me.

By chinkeendrii from Stockton, CA

You need to over cook it to make it sticky, good luck.

I'm half Japanese, and I have the worst time with any kind of rice unless I'm using a rice cooker. I think you can get a small one relatively inexpensively (maybe $20-$30). For the sticky rice, you need to get a bag of short grain rice (sometimes medium grain). The Botan rice pictured here is pretty easy to find (both Target and Wal-Mart carry it):

http://www.jfc.com/newproducts.php?nps=musenmai

I use a sushi rice I get from an Asian grocery store.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/evil_angela/7090600/

If you get a rice cooker, it should come with its own measuring cup. Be sure to use that! I know it says that no washing is needed, but we still do it (my Japanese mom & all her friends). Measure your rice, add plenty of water in the rice cooker bowl, and use your hand to stir/agitate/rub the rice. Carefully pour out the water and do it again. Repeat several times. Then soak the rice prior to cooking. I use warm-hot water and let it sit maybe 45 minutes to an hour. When in a rush, I use very hot water to soak and wait only 30 minutes. After soaking, put the bowl into the cooker, turn it on, and let it do its job!

After one or two batches, you can tell if you need to increase or decrease the water a little (personal preference). Good luck! I know it's frustrating when the rice doesn't turn out.

Sticky rice is not overcooked rice, it is a special kind of rice. You can buy it at a Korean grocery store. My daughter-in-law is Korean and that's where she buys her rice. I noticed on the package that it is actually grown in California, so you shouldn't have trouble finding it. I wish I could remember the exact name, but it's something with "Rose" in it. Good Luck.

You don't need any special rice or rice cooker. Put the rice in the cold water (don't wait for the water to boil)and cook covered for 20 minutes on low. You'll have sticky rice. I do it all the time. It's not original Asian rice, but it does just fine. Let me know how you make out.

I love sticky rice. I've always used "BOTON" rice. It's usually in the oriental area of the grocery store. The one who said something about 20 mins is correct, but you measure in the rice & add 2x thee amount of water, add some salt cover & bring to a boil, lower heat & simmer slowly for 20mins. Then you have the best sticky rice ever. If you want it moister next time, add a little more water next time, or less if you want it dryer next time. I've made this type of rice for about 30 years, it's good.

No offense to anyone, but overcooked regular rice is NOT sticky rice. My mother thought the same thing and thought she was eating it until she had some real sticky rice. I've only seen it sold at the Asian stores and you should be able to just ask them for Sticky Rice.

My son in law is Laotian and turned us on to the real thing. We have a round pan shaped like a vase so it has a narrower neck, and a cone shaped big basket that sits on top of the pan.

Soak the rice for at least an hour in cold wate, then rinse repeatedly until the water is pretty clear and not cloudy. Bring your water to a boil, put the basket on top and pour the raw rice into the basket. You will be steaming the rice, not boiling it. Occasionally (every 10 - 20 minutes or so) grab the sides of the basket and with an upward jerking motion, flip the rice ball up just enough to sort of turn it upside down (in the basket). This basically just keeps turning it to the steam

I don't remember how long it takes to cook, I just cook it until it's done. After a few tries you'll find it very easy to do and to tell when it's done.

The rice cooker pan/basket also came from the Asian store, is cute and a heck of a lot cheaper than a rice cooker. PS - don't forget to have a rice basket to keep the rice hot in after you're done cooking. :)

ShelliM - Could you post a picture of this, please? I can't picture it.

Simply purchase sticky rice in an Asian market and if purchased in bulk there ask for cooking directions or purchase a package from your local regular grocery in the ethnic food store isle and follow the package directions or ask your boyfriend or his parents.

I think your looking for kinda like sushi rice right? Well here is a great tip. Just add a teaspoon of cider vinegar to every cup of rice and let cool. This method is often use to roll sushi or nigeri rolls. This will work with any white rice give or take on the size gran of rice it is. mikey

Can you ask your boyfriend, or someone in his family?

Add more water. My recipe calls for 1 cup of rice and 2 cups of water. I put 2 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil and turn it down between medium and low and cook slowly about 15 minutes with lid on. The less water you have the dryer the rice will be so don't over cook it. Taste it for tenderness as it cooks.

My favorite rice is Jasmine from the oriental store. It has so much flavor.

Food and Recipes Recipes RiceSeptember 8, 2009
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Side of Spanish rice.
Making Spanish Rice in the Rice Cooker
A plate of cooked brown rice.
Cooking Brown Rice in a Rice Cooker
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
🎄