Web Worm Advice

I read about web worms in today's newspaper. Then looked at the neighbor's tree. Yup, the season has arrived. Among other things, the most natural treatment is to rip a hole in the web so natural predators can get in there and finish the job.

By Holly from Richardson, TX

I live in Watauga and those little boogers stripped my huge fruitless mulberry of ALL it's leaves in seven days. (I called to have a tree doctor come out, but they're booked solid so I'm still waiting for my appt.) Forget the tree though, they're coming on the front porch. It looks like a spooky movie. What can I do.

What my husband did was to take a long pole with paper tied to it and he would burn them out and then he would put moth balls in a panty hose and throw them into the trees i have them now and thats what i am fixing to do. And this year we have them bad

I made myself get on a ladder with a long-handled pruning saw/hook and cut the branches their tents were on. When I got down to examine them, thinking I had gotten them in time, they was totally empty! Then miracles of all miracles, they lined up like mice on the edge of my ROOF, of all places, and came to my rain barrel. I may have gotten every single one of them to jump into two gallon sized ziplock bags, then tossed them. The tents/cut branches need to go out, but I still find just a few here and there of the fuzzy caterpillars. They don't

sting and do love grape leaves, Boston Ivy, Apple and Fruitless Mulberry leaves, that's all I've seen them eat so far. My organic yard/garden is so healthy that I can afford to have them help me to clean it up a bit, so I'm not too worried yet. I understood that moth balls/crystals were for the moths, not the catterpillars, an were for placing around the base of trees to get into the tree's sap itself, or something? The rains in our area

have really made them sort of hide, so I suppose they don't care for moisture too much? God bless you. : )

if you are going to cut out the web and the branch it's on, wait until the worms are IN the web.... a rainy day, or very early or very late in the day when they've all gone home for the night.....once you have the web on the ground do a little dance on it and squash the boogers!!!...... burning is dangerous and not a good thing to do....

Web worm larvae are in the ground under your tree. In spring, they hatch, climb up the tree and start sewing the leaves together. The best cure is to buy a product called "Tacky Foot" and apply to the trunk of the tree, about 2 feet up from the ground. You can buy it from most garden centers. Do it in early March. The hatchlings get stuck in the sticky stuff and die. You will need to reapply each year. Works great, no more worms.

Photos PestsJune 29, 2007
Worm Bin
Making a Worm Bin
Worm in the Lawn
Getting Rid of Worms in the Lawn
Worm Tea
Making and Storing Worm Tea
Baby Videos
Funny Baby Videos