HealthDogs

Suggestions for a Dog With Allergies

My rat terrier has an eye allergy every year about this time. He has no discharge but he squints all the time in his left eye. What can I do for it?

By Angela from Horse Cave, KY

Answers

As much as nobody wants to hear the words, it has to be said, see a vet. It isn't always what we think it is, my parents' doberman's severe allergies ended up being acid reflux (in dogs, yes) and allergy pills wouldn't have helped. Their beagle is on thyroid meds and any allergy pills could interact poorly with them so going without a vet's advice isn't advised. Your little guy might have a small irritation or infection that will stop his squinting if taken care of.

If you are unable to at this time get to a vet, try a warm compress on his affected eye. When my pup's allergies are bad, I'll cuddle her and hold a damp, warm compress on her eyes to take the itch and irritation away even if only for a short time. I'm not sure how big your little guy is but when my ex's (nasty) cairn terrier got attacked by fire ants (she got attacked twice in one week in the SAME spot) we gave her (at the vet's discretion) half of a benydril (the vet okayed a whole one but to play it by ear). She was 10lbs sopping wet.

Good luck with your problem and I hope everything turns out for you.