Repurposing an Old Basketball Goal Post With No Backboard

This is going to sound like an odd question, but hoping some one might have some ideas. We have an old in ground basketball goal. The backboard gave out months ago and now I am stuck with a metal pole sticking out of the ground. Our home owner's association sent me a nasty letter asking me to remove it or put up a new backboard (understandably).

The backboard and arm extension needed is going to run me over $150, and it will never get used. In the interest of saving some cash I'm looking for any ideas on what I could do with the pole? Any ideas on maybe adding something to it to repurpose it making it part of the landscaping? Any good ideas are appreciated.

By jdelmart from Crosby, TX

Well, first the position of the pole on your property is in question. You could use the pole to attach a dusk to dawn light fixture, if it is close to the drive way or front of the house. Or, you could use it to center a decorative fence along that side of your property, (this may involve cutting the pole down to size. Or, you could fashion some bolts into hooks, and drill several holes in the post and hang flower baskets on it at different levels. };)

Also, turn it into a flag pole or mount a large bell on the pole and put a vining plant at its base. Add a couple more poles and create a grape trellis if it's in a good location or a swing or use the pole as part of a gazebo that could be built.

Find a container suitable for planting annuals in, that fits the basketball hoop. Plant the sides of the container it with annuals that will drape and trail over the sides (Wave Petunias, ivy, trailing lobelia, alysum). Once potted, place the container into the hoop. At the base of the hoop, pot up 3 matching containers, fill with assorted colourful annuals, perhaps some morning glory (which will climb the pole), and there you go. Have fun.

A possible solution might be to check for a freecycle site near you and ask if anyone has a backboard and net. You get it free, keep it out of landfills, and possibly get rid of some of your own clutter. Freecycle@yahoo.com

I installed a real pretty bird house on mine I been trying to get purple Martins to house there maybe next year.

My first thought would be to sell the property as soon as possible. Homeowners associations are usually loaded with egotistical self important tyrants. I'd get as far from that as possible. I'm afraid that you won't be able to try most of the useful suggestions above as long as you live there.

I hate to sound negative, but I've heard some real horror stories about similar situations.

All The Best,

Woody

Or you can get a sawsall and cut it down to make a birdbath or birdhouse out of it. I agree, people who send me letters about what to do with my property make my teeth itch!!

Maybe they could all get along like these folks!!

Funny, huh?

I like Buff Soldier's idea of hanging baskets. My idea was to find some long ivy tendrils (maybe from an old house) and train them up the pole, but I don't know if it would work, the baskets would...in the winter maybe fake holly or greens in baskets, mostly green. Good luck.

I like the flagpole idea, but my favorite one is actually with the photo of the moblie home paradise! Kidding aside, I know that neighborhoods that have homeowners assoc are supposed to be nicer, better, safer, etc, but all they do is cost you money. That is for you to decide.

Better Living Green Living ReusingJune 22, 2009
Cat Scratching Sisal Post
Repairing a Sisal Wrapped Cat Scratching Post
Post-It Notes
Making a Post-It Note Holder
Hosting a March Madness Party, Basketball Going Through Hoop
Hosting a March Madness Party
🎄
🍂