Getting Rid of Black Racer Snakes

I have a den of snakes living in my front door stoop which is hollow red brick. I have patched the holes I see and they have a hole the size of a dime they are now using which they made. They also disappear in between the cement block that is joined by dirt. I know I have at least 5 snakes. So, there are more.

I am trying to locate their food source. I am not sure what it is because they are outside and I want them moved from around the house. Any help would be appreciated.

I have cleaned debris from around the house, the grass is cut to 1 inch height, I have set off a sulfur stick inside the one hole, I have put moth balls down heavily, Snake Away, borax power soap, and they are laughing at me. They roll around in everything as if just to let me know that they are still there. Please help.

By Mary

Lucky you. Black snakes eat mice and when the mice are gone, the snakes will leave. These snakes are harmless to humans. I wouldn't worry about them.

Please don't harm the black snakes, as soon as what they are feeding on (rats, mice roaches etc. they will move. Are you sure they are black racers. I know they can scare you to death but you won't have harmful snakes around as long as the black racer is there. There is also probably another place they are going into the steps to. We used to have some near our wash shed when I was a kid and they can scare you bad.

You could call fish and game commission and see if they will remove them or trap and move them.

Black snakes are good snakes, they won't hurt you, just let them be or gather them up in a box and put them else where, but don't kill them. They eat mice and and even other snakes like rattle snakes. If you're afraid of them, call the animal control. Sure they will pick them up or any animal lover. But they are harmless. Good Luck.

Hi Mary. I know you probably don't want to hear this, but congratulations on having one of the best predators of other creatures that you don't want around. The best and easiest way to deal with the situation is to just co-exist with these little guys. I am a licensed wildlife rehabilitator and actually encourage snakes into my garden.

I will trade you the water moccasins at our cabin for your black runners!

I know it sounds kinda scary, but black racers are wonderful to have around. They take care of all the other icky creatures that you really don't want in and around your house. In some areas of the country black racers (sometimes called rat snakes) are actually protected. So live and let live, if there is a lot of activity around their home, they will move on, but be happy knowing that you won't have to worry about poisonous snakes, or rats and mice anywhere near your home.

Harmless! You are kidding, right? They will not kill you but they can give a painful bite if cornered.

Home and Garden Pest Control SnakesMay 23, 2011
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
A garter snake in grass.
Getting Rid of Garter Snakes
Snake coiled in an evergreen tree.
Getting Rid of Snakes
🎉
🎄