House TrainingDogs

Dog Peeing Inside After New Dog Arrived

My 5 year old female Maltese, that was previously house trained, has started to soil all over the house. We think it is because we got a male Maltese puppy at Christmas. We thought it would be good for her as she was very motherly with her toys and has never had a litter, but apparently she doesn't like him.

How can we stop her from doing that and go back to be the good dog she once was? We are taking her out all the time, there are people with her all the time. She has access to the yard, but she does it inside. Obviously it is a protest, what can I do to save my house?

By Sybille from Houston, TX

Best Answer

People can be with a dog all day long, but is the dog getting personal attention time? It's jealous of the pup taking over her domain; she's been the only one and now it's different. She doesn't approve. To curtail the jealousy, see that your older dog gets lavish attention poured on her so she doesn't feel she's been pushed to the bottom of the totem pole.

It does take time and patience for the new kid on the block to be accepted; eventually it will. But jealousy is in a lot of dogs and I'd find ways to help stop the jealousy which is a form of insecurity.

Best Answer

Thanks so much for your answers. I do think she is acting out of jelousy and I have been given her more attention, like ultra more, and gone on walks only us two, seems to be what she needed, the last couple of days she has been doing better. It also probably wasn't good that at the same time we got Maxi we had to put her on a diet as she is 4 lbs overweight, and of course now she is not getting table scraps, and all the treats she used to get, and probably she thinks is because of him. Her whole world has changed, but this weekend I will make sure she gets tons of attention and retrain her without leaving the puppy out of the attention he needs. The diapers did not work, she just was in heat and she peed in her diaper every single time.

My daughter has a Maltese, Max, and he sometimes pees inside too. There's no apparent reason for it. In your case, you have to definitely show her all the attention you can, especially in front of the other dog. Good luck. I know it's quite frustrating.

She may be "marking" her territory. Get her some of those female doggy diapers. You can line them with panty liners. They work great.

I watched an episode on dog whisperer and he said that when bringing in a new dog or puppy to the house that for the first day only give the older dog the attention and minimal attention to the new dog. I know it sounds hard to do but it's what would happen in a pack of dogs and makes it easier on the older dog. Then after a day or two of this give both of them equal attention. We did this with our new chihuahua and it worked like a charm. Everyone accepted him and we have harmony in the house. :)