Transporting Large Quantities of Deviled Eggs

I recently had to prepare a food for a potluck dinner that was attended by at least 100 members of a Missouri stream team near Eminence, Missouri. That is a 6 hour trip from home. I decided to fix Deviled Eggs - 7 dozen of them! But I had to figure out how to transport them. This idea worked sooo well, that I am going to repeat it for a family reunion in July.

Boil the eggs, peel them and slice them in half. As you slice them, empty the yolks into a large bowl, and put the halves back together and return to the carton. Use the foam cartons since they may stick to the fiber cartons. Set these in the fridge, Use your electric mixer to mash the yolks and add the mayo and any other ingredients from your favorite recipe. When the yolk mixture is smooth, spoon it into sandwich size ZipLock bags. I used two bags for my 7 dozen. Store in the fridge along with the cartons of egg whites. Fill empty bottles with water and freeze. Or use the Blue Ice packets if you have them. Ice is not a good idea here because you don't want your eggs to be submerged in melting ice.

To transport, pack the egg cartons and bags of egg yolk in coolers fitting as many bottles of frozen water as the cooler will hold. When you are ready to put them on the table, remove the egg white halves to plates, cut a small corner off the bags of yolks and squeeze into the whites. The final touch was a sprinkle of paprika on each half. They transported without damage and were devoured in short order. Guess next year I will have to take 9 dozen!

Source: My experiment that was more successful than I had hoped.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, Arkansas

Great hint. Thank you.

Wow, that is even a great idea for a meal at home, to prevent accidents to the eggs until meal time! I have too many times had a plate of eggs knocked off the fridge shelf, or even just tipped over some, and the stuffed eggs flip or break. Thanks so much for your posting!

I too was in this situation a few years ago.I decided to cut the eggs and stack them back in the foam cartons.It worked so well I couldn't believe I had never thought of this before!Amazing how we seem to come up with ideas under pressure huh?

I have to make a comment about food safety with this hint. Egg cartons are in contact with the external egg shell which is contaminated. Putting the cooked egg white back in the carton brings it into contact with contamination that will not be eliminated by cooking.

Hi, for those for you that are concerned about food safety and egg cartons not being safe just line the carton with one big sheet of plasric wrap large enough to cover the eggs after you put them back in the cartons. The idea was really neat.

woman Putting Groceries in Her Car
Tips for Transporting Food
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsJuly 1, 2009
Cooking eggs for a large group.
Cooking Scrambled Eggs for a Large Group
Gourmet deviled eggs, with a chive garnish.
Deviled Eggs Recipes
Photo of skull deviled eggs.
Halloween Deviled Eggs
Deviled Chicken
Deviled Chicken Recipes
🎄