Costs of Making Your Own Juice

I have been considering buying a juicer for making our own fruit juice. But most of what I read online says that it is actually more expensive to make your own juice. I'm not wanting to do this for health reasons, there are plenty of all natural juices available where I live. I just thought it might save me money but now I'm second guessing that line of thinking. I would like to hear from others who have a juicer and maybe have done the cost comparison. Thanks!

By Jenn from Fort Mill, SC

Unless you have a free supply of produce (like your own trees) juicing to make your own juice is pretty expensive. My SIL tried this for carrot juice but she said she had to buy so many bags of carrots it was cheaper to buy the juice itself. HTH

Like many, I have been tempted by one of those juicer things, and of course, it's fresh juice. But, I bought a juice steam extractor for jelly's etc, and it produces wonderful juice. I plan on making my own tomato V8 type juice with it. I've done various berry juices for jelly and they were divine. Would be appropriate for canning the juices. Got mine from

Every fall when tomatoes are so cheap...I make my own tomato juice. It's yummy and so much healthier without all the salt commercial tomato juice has. I even make a 'spicy' version out of part of the tomatoes. I can get maybe 30 pints out of a $5.00 bushel of tomatoes. I like the pints instead of quarts, because my husband doesn't drink it and a pint is plenty for me for a couple of mornings. I also like to have a glass in the afternoon if I get hungry.

It's funny that there is a "commercial" for a vitamix on this page cuz it's the best thing since hot biscuits and gravy!

Don't waste your money on a juicer, try the vitamix instead. I have had mine for over 20 years and it still works as good as new.

It juices the entire fruit and that lets you keep the important pulp to provide fiber as well as juice. {but it does liquify the pulp if you run it too long} This machine is the only one that can make ice cream as well as soup, completely makes and cooks the soup in 5 mins! I make a lot of sauces with it too, so much faster than making on the stove.

All the claims they make about this machine are true, I tried to make hamburger meat from some cheap steaks one time and the directions say to run the machine about 3 seconds, not believing it, I ran it a little longer and had liquid steak lol

You can grind your own flour and then add the rest of the ingredients to make your bread and knead it! Add a little water and a drop of soap and run the machine and it cleans itself {except for the lid}.

The only prob I have found with making certain jellies is that you have to adjust the ingredients, as in pepper jelly since it liquifies the entire pepper you need to use fewer peppers or you end up with too much liquid.

This is the one appliance I can't live without!

Food and Recipes Food Tips BeveragesFebruary 22, 2010
Grape juice that is splashing out of the cup.
Removing Grape Juice Stains from a Tablecloth
Frozen Juice Containers on White Background
Reusing Frozen Juice Containers
gas costs for road travel
Estimating Gas Costs for Road Trips
A glass of orange juice.
Saving Money on Juice