Urine Stains on a Sofa

I need to clean urine out of my cloth sofa from my son having an accident during a nap!

Patti

I have had the same problem with my dog, not comparing your son with a dog though! Have you tried the enzyme urine cleaners on the market like Urine Gone or Rug Doctor Urine Eliminator? I have had fairly good luck with those. I soak the area and let it dry naturally and I have had to use it a second or even a third time but it does work eventually. If you worry about it happening again (not sure how old your son is) I have used a crib waterproof pad with a small blanket on top for protection on a sofa. Looks better than plastic and works quite well.

White Vinegar. Put it in a spray bottle and wet down the stain... (this will also help get rid of the stain) and press with a folded cloth going around the outside and spiraling into the middle of the spot. (that keeps it from spreading.)

You'll smell vinegar for a couple hours or less but that dissapates fairly fast.

You could also make a half vinegar half hot water mix in a steam cleaner and use the upolstry attatchment to clean the spot.

Good Luck!

HI,

I GUARANTEE YOU WON'T LIKE THIS ANSWER, BECAUSE IT IS VERY INVOLVED; BUT I ALSO GUARANTEE IT WORKS FOR HUMAN, CAT AND DOG URINE. I'VE RECOMMENED IT TO SO MANY PEOPLE WHO WERE JUST ABOUT TO THROW AWAY MATRESSES AND REPLACE CARPET. PLEASE GIVE IT A TRY AND BE PATIENT...

If the STAIN IS RECENT URINE, first absorb as much of the urine as possible using paper towels or an old towel.

Place clean paper towels over the cat urine area and tread on them so as to absorb as much of the urine as possible.

Repeat with dry towels until no more moisture can be absorbed.

If the urine has dried and you are not sure where the soiled area is you can use a black light to detect it. In a totally darkened room the black light will pick up urine and other stains. Hand held black lights can be purchased for between $15 to $25

Next, wet the area WELL with a solution of 50% white vinegar and 50% water. Make sure you use enough of the solution to penetrate the fibers deep down. Allow it to dry. You can assist drying by blotting with paper towels as described above. A fan can also be used to assist drying. If you own a wet and dry vacuum extractor use that to remove excess moisture.

The acidity of the vinegar will neutralize the ammonia in the urine.

NOW, THE REALLY UGLY PART. Put on latex gloves. Mix, by the handful, baking soda with water and a bit of hydrogen peroxide (probably a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture) along with 3-4 drops of dishwashing liquid - Dawn always works best.

(You'll soon have a "goop" in your plastic mixing bowl. Spread a liberal amount of baking soda over the affected area sort of like you're frosting a cake.)

Work it in with a scrubbing brush or your fingers (be sure to keep those gloves on!! to work it down into the matress/carpet.

Allow it to dry. Absolutely DRY, not damp, not almost dry, DRY!! (This could take a day or two) You can use fans to help. NOW DON'T BE SHOCKED WHEN THE SOILED AREA TURNS A LIGHT BROWN!!! THAT'S THE ACTION OF THE BAKING SODA LITERALLY PULLING OUT THE URINE.

Then vacuum. [EASIER SAID THAN DONE. Use an attachment with a strong brush to really loosen the mixture - NOW YOU WILL BE THINKING BAD THOUGHTS ABOUT ME. BUT I'M OKAY ABOUT IT, BECAUSE I KNOW THAT SUCCESS IS AROUND THE CORNER.

The vinegar will neutralize the ammonia and hydrogen peroxide is a powerful oxidizer capable of killing bacteria which cause the urine smells. Baking soda is a well known deodorizer which absorbs odors.

Important. NEVER, NEVER use ammonia or ammonia-based products on the MATRESS OR CARPET. One of the ingredients of urine is ammonia and your ANIMAL IN THE HOME may well be encouraged to SOIL YOUR CHILD'S "AREA."

You may have to repeat the above process a few times for heavily soiled areas.

ONLY USE 3% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE

Good Luck - You'll be happy!!

Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureMarch 11, 2008
Sofa Bed
Repairing a Sofa Bed Frame
Dog Urinating Outdoors
Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
Sofa Bed
Sofa Bed is Stuck Open
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
🎉
🎄