DecorationsParties

Entertaining "Table Covers"

The tables are covered in paper instead of table clothes, with cute buckets (containers) of crayons so everyone can write. I kept mine for years. After I had my son, I used this idea over and over at banquets; always with someone asking about how I came up with that great idea.

All ages love it. Whether it's on the gift table or the dining table, it's always a hit. On the gift table, it can be a memento of who attended, with a note saying "thank you." Same with a desert table; your guests or family member can leave you a friendly note.

On your dining table, it is inexpensive and keeps the kids and adults happy between courses. It's been known to keep kids occupied with doodling, tic-tac-toe or just scribbling quietly; while at the other end of the table others enjoy conversation. If you have a kid's table, you can just put it on their table.

The sky is the limit on this and I have done it so many ways. One thing for sure, it shows fun, no worries, enjoyment every time. On holidays after the table was cleared, it provided a table made up for Pictionary while we had dessert. The paper can be painted if you want a certain color, or bought in different colors. You can write your attendees names neatly or have a name card above each setting. If you are crafty, make your own design throughout the whole table.

I never purchased what would be called butcher paper, I always go the thrifty way. I went to the small community news papers who had leftover paper that is not enough to go through the copier. These rolls vary in size, I always left a gratitude donation for mine of $5.00. In this economy, small papers appreciated it. Where I got mine, he actually began to remember when it was time for our banquets.

Boxes of crayons are very inexpensive and can be put in what container goes with your table decorations. Make sure for smaller children that you collect the crayons before they leave the table. They might find a nearby wall. Remember if anything spills; no big deal other than it may have ruined your game of Pictionary afterwards.

When I moved I had a couple of rolls put away, it was great for wrapping dishes, pictures and other breakables. I hope you find a way to try this and enjoy! Everyone will enjoy it. For Thanksgiving, little pumpkins would be great to house the crayons. At Christmas time, it could be anything merry.

What always surprised me was how much the adults enjoyed it. I know I did, but it was in a romantic setting; small tables with votive candle light, and couples of all ages. From that to my kitchen table, to nice dining room tables, banquet tables, everyone enjoyed the crayons.

Source: I have used this idea over and over again. If I could remember the 5 star place that I was taken out to eat at, I would tell you. I do however will always remember the company and the tables. I have used this idea in my ways since those days. At that restaurant it was love notes. It has been basketball, football banquets, holiday dinners, church pot lucks, etc.

By Luana M. from San Diego, CA

We had one specific tablecloth that we used for all special occasions. It was an off-white heavy duty cloth, I was young so don't remember the material. Anyway, we'd put it on the table just like any other tablecloth. We'd also put several cups with different colored permanent markers on the table. During the meal, we'd all sign the tablecloth, including the year. Most years anyone who had signed it in the past didn't sign again. Over the years we got a lot of signatures on that tablecloth! Even a few famous ones, at one time or another. But that tablecloth became a family heirloom. And it was always fun to go back and read all the different names on it.

Fun. That is a great idea. Birthday parties for the kids, holiday parties and for grown ups and kids too.

Cricketnc.

I would love to see that table cloth..what memories! This is and still one of the fondest memories I have. Just puts my special "everyone is special" spin on all events. In my World money doesn't buy class or happiness, everyone has something to write, loves writing their names anywhere possible.Looking back on many of those table coverings are hours of fun,happiness and marked a special memory. You cant keep them all (I have cutout parts of many).....still fun!

Your table cloth is one I will keep in mind! Thanks!