How Often Do Finches Lay Eggs?

I have a pair of society finchs, but I am not sure if they are male and female. They both built the nest and one of them laid 6 egg. The one has sat constantly only to let the other relieve it to feed and get water.

Will 2 females do this or do I have a male and female? They sat on the eggs for over 25 days and I took them away and they were no good. If I have a male and female, when will she start another nest of eggs? Please help.

By CrystalWitch from Milton, FL

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Louise snyder 5 9 05/04/2009

I used to have finches too. Females lay eggs, but they are not furtile eggs. I would think you have two females. I had three females and they would lay unfurtile eggs. But then one died so I got another one from the local pet store. Needless to say it was a male and boy did they have at it! Anyway I took him back but one of the females laid fertile eggs and they did not take very long to hatch so I had like four babies. They take care of them totally. You really don't need to do anything if they do have babies. But I do hope you feed them more than seeds. Mine loved fruits and veggies. Especially cucumbers. Just cut a slice and put it between the bars and they will love it. Lettuce is good too, but mine loved cucumbers.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Cricket 205 896 05/12/2009

I had zebra finches. Mine laid eggs almost weekly, altho the eggs never survived until someone finally told me I was giving them the wrong type of nest. Once I corredted that, they had one clutch of 5 eggs, and every one of them lived! I then had 7 of the cutest and sweetest birds I had ever had! Once they got old enough tho, I did quickly separate the males and females so I didn't get over-run! I had only bought the initial pair to enjoy with no thought of breeding!
I also gave mine frewh fruits and veggies. I gave them lettuce, cucumbers, apples, and other things. They also enjoyed dandelion flowers too.
But they gave me so much enjoyment. I loved to sit and watch them and to listen to them. The sound they make is so sweet! I even recorded them and played the sound back at nite to lull me to sleep! Worked great on this severe lifelong insomniac!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By ginabina 1 03/31/2013

I have a question my finches lay eggs but never hatch. Could you tell me a lil bit more about the nest stuff and the food. I would love to see them have babies. They sit on the eggs but nothing happens.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No