How Often Do Finches Lay Eggs?

By Kathy Barlow 1

I have a pair of society finchs, but I am not sure if they are male and female. They both built the nest and one of them laid 6 egg. The one has sat constantly only to let the other relieve it to feed and get water.

Will 2 females do this or do I have a male and female? They sat on the eggs for over 25 days and I took them away and they were no good. If I have a male and female, when will she start another nest of eggs? Please help.

By CrystalWitch from Milton, FL

Showing: Answers Sort

By Louise snyder 5 9 Flag

I used to have finches too. Females lay eggs, but they are not furtile eggs. I would think you have two females. I had three females and they would lay unfurtile eggs. But then one died so I got another one from the local pet store. Needless to say it was a male and boy did they have at it! Anyway I took him back but one of the females laid fertile eggs and they did not take very long to hatch so I had like four babies. They take care of them totally. You really don't need to do anything if they do have babies. But I do hope you feed them more than seeds. Mine loved fruits and veggies. Especially cucumbers. Just cut a slice and put it between the bars and they will love it. Lettuce is good too, but mine loved cucumbers.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Cricket 205 895 Flag

I had zebra finches. Mine laid eggs almost weekly, altho the eggs never survived until someone finally told me I was giving them the wrong type of nest. Once I corredted that, they had one clutch of 5 eggs, and every one of them lived! I then had 7 of the cutest and sweetest birds I had ever had! Once they got old enough tho, I did quickly separate the males and females so I didn't get over-run! I had only bought the initial pair to enjoy with no thought of breeding!

I also gave mine frewh fruits and veggies. I gave them lettuce, cucumbers, apples, and other things. They also enjoyed dandelion flowers too.

But they gave me so much enjoyment. I loved to sit and watch them and to listen to them. The sound they make is so sweet! I even recorded them and played the sound back at nite to lull me to sleep! Worked great on this severe lifelong insomniac!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By ginabina 1 Flag

Hi,

I have a question my finches lay eggs but never hatch. Could you tell me a lil bit more about the nest stuff and the food. I would love to see them have babies. They sit on the eggs but nothing happens.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Pets BirdsMay 4, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Fledgling Beige Bengalese
Breeding Society Finches
Pair of Zebra Finches on Perch
Breeding Zebra Finches
Chicken Nesting Box
Getting Chickens to Lay in Nesting Box
Bengalese Finches
Breeding Bengalese Finches
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 8:55:08 AM on 10.0.1.64 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings