Please Don't Give Garlic To Your Pets

I've responded to questions and tips several times regarding giving garlic to pets for flea control or assorted other reasons, but maybe it will be more helpful if posted as a tip that might reach more folk? Please consider reading up about Heinz-Body anemia before you make the decision to give garlic in any form, or anything in the alliums family for that matter, to a pet. Personally, I wouldn't risk the health of my pet when there are other safe alternatives available. Here are two really good links to begin your homework with:

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Good tip! It is hard to get the old wives tales to move along.

Thanks so much. It's hard to determine which hints are good ones and which ones could be potentially dangerous!

I think it may just be hard for people to believe garlic is bad for their dogs when most of the treat recipes you see contain garlic & even commercial treats & dog food have garlic in them, at least they used to, seems to me last time I looked,there weren't so many things on the market anymore that advertise garlic as one of the ingredients. I knew onion was bad, but I didn't realize garlic was too until I read it here on Thrifty Fun & did some of my own research.

Thank you Deeli!

Really important tip, Deeli, garlic, onions, green onions/scallions, leeks and ramps (if you can even find those). I also keep my gal away from the chives in the garden, just in case. While we're at it, also a no-go are grapes/raisins and any fruit with a pit. Watch your puppies if you have fruit trees and they chow down on ripened, dropped fruit. Pits contain cyanide.

OK, so I talked to my dog Luigi (aka Fido) and he is kind of pissed about the whole no garlic deal. He indicated that the only way he has been able to eat the dog food I've been feeding him is if I mix in a healthy amount of garlic and fresh basil. He also mentioned that he has several relatives in Southern Italy who would be more than happy to "help" the human who is recommending the no garlic for K-9 Americans understand the error of their thinking. Please don't let Luigi know that I gave your tip a thumbs-up.

Wow, I did not know this. Thanks for the heads up.

Using Garlic to Prevent Fleas
Using Garlic to Prevent Fleas
Pets HealthJune 28, 2011
Garlic Salt
Homemade Garlic Salt Recipes
Garlic Dip Recipes
Garlic Dip Recipes
Garlic Keeper
Making a Garlic Keeper
Woman with bad breath covering her mouth.
Getting Rid of Garlic Breath
🎉
🎄