Reviving An Orchid Plant

My orchid plant has lost all the leaves and the flowers are drooping. How do I revive this plant? There was a lot of water oozing out of the leaves.

Hardiness Zone: 11

By Ceil from Palm Springs, CA

It could have scale or aphids.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/orchids/msg0308215215552.html

October 18, 2010 Flag

I have an orchid that I believe I over watered. It lost all it's leaves, I tried to transplant it and the stems started to soften and rot. I put it outside in the shade and left it. Now it has a new shoot growing off one of the soft rotted stems. The leaves look like they have small white roots on it. How can I transplant this? Or do I just leave it on the rotted stem? Which stinks by the way.

By tam6083 from Mandeville, LA

Answers:

Reviving An Orchid Plant

Orchids are tender and tend to be fickle. They are actually a parasite and do not live on their own. Check your local library and see if any books are specifically about orchids. People seem to all have different opinions. (07/13/2009)

By damaged05170

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 7, 2009 Flag

How can I revive a sickly Orchid plant? I have an orchid plant that is now browning, the stem looks dead and some of the leaves are now yellowing, but the roots look okay. Anyone have good tips for orchid care before mine dies?

JoAnn from Saginaw, MI

Answers:

Reviving An Orchid Plant

Before I start, let me tell you that I live on the East Coast of Central Florida and it is almost always humid here.

I have an Orchid that my husband bought me for our Anniversary about 3 years ago. I kept that Orchid on a North facing window ledge and watered it about once a week for about a year. It always looked like it was going to die! Next I tried the East facing window for the next 7 months, same story.

We recently moved and I put it out on our screened back porch, and it is growing like CRAZY now and I rarely water it at all! I transplanted it into a clear vase (like you get flowers delivered in) with a few river rocks & packing peanuts in the bottom, then placed the Orchid in and surrounded it with mulch.

God Bless,
Sheila in Cocoa, FL (09/12/2008)

By GrammySheila

Reviving An Orchid Plant

I grew several orchids in my office on the West Coast for years. Just water regularly with good drainage, give them good light (no direct sun), feed them regularly with plant food especially meant for orchids according to directions, and they will do well. They will drop their leaves and look dead in between flowering, but keep faith and they'll bloom again. Unfortunately, I had to leave them behind when I moved back East but will replace them here soon. (09/14/2008)

By sheilamay

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Woman with Orchids
Caring for an Orchid
Home and Garden Gardening FlowersOctober 18, 2010
Chinese Ground Orchid
Growing Chinese Ground Orchid
Europe on a globe.
Plant Hardiness Zones for France
Pencil
Reviving Dried Pencil Erasers
Dry Erase Markers
Reviving Dry Erase Markers
🎉
🎄