Use Radish Greens Instead Of Discarding

contest winner icon

Raise your hand if you have always thrown away the top radish greens! I had never even tried to taste them before, but decided to take a little nibble. Do you know that radish greens are awesome tasting because they have a nice peppery flavor? Why throw them away?

I am now adding them to salads and sandwiches, but be sure to go light with them if you give it a try. Too many can be overpowering (I learned the hard way - LOL) ;-)

By Deeli from Richland, WA

That's interesting Deeli, I'll have to try it next time I have radishes! It's interesting what is totally edible that we discard just because that's what everyone else does isn't it? I know that 30 years ago my mom was horrified that I made my mashed potatoes without peeling the potato, I did it because I read that the most nutrients were in the peel. I in turn, was horrified the first time I saw the doctor I worked for pop a strawberry into his mouth, greens & all. He was a big health nut & said it was good for you. A couple of weeks ago, Rachel Ray talked about how she ate her apples core & all, because that's what her mom did-I didn't know you could do that!

Deeli, you come up with such great ideas! The leaves would be great to add to the top of potato salad for garnish! Lyonpridej, it is funny how we do what our mother did. For instance, I am one of the few people who like the pith of an orange. I remember my mother eating it.

Radish greens are yummy, and I also have broccoli growing right now and enjoy the flowers, they're yummy and pretty in salads.

Cutting Radishes
Using Radishes
Food and Recipes Food Tips VegetablesJanuary 14, 2011
Recycle Sweaters into Scarves
Recycling Sweaters into Scarves
Collard Greens
Canning Collard Greens
Canned Peaches in a Jar
Uses for Juice from Canned Fruit
Uses for CDs
Uses for CDs