Adding a New Dachshund to Our Family

I currently have two nine year old dachshunds (Gabby and Avery). Next month I am somewhat inheriting another dachshund. He is only 6 months old. My boy dog that I already have is very passive and I know he won't mind the new boy, but my girl dog is very aggressive towards other dogs. She is very territorial and dominant. What would be the best way to ease them all into living in the same house without a problem?

Brittney from Knoxville, TN

With the new dog just being 6 months old, it will be an easier adjustment. The female dog, will probably be overly dominant for quite a while, but she will allow the dog to stay. She just wants to be "Queen" and will be. The new dog will probably have to walk the line around her, but they will adjust. It will take lots of time and patience. Do not spank or hit the dog, that would do much more harm than good. They should never be struck in any way.

Hi, You need to have the dogs meet each other away from the house. Let them meet and get used to each other away from your house. Then, after they are friendly towards each other. Walk them home together. This really helps. Loretta

Here is website with some really good ideas -- especially on dominance.

http://www.metroanimal.org/adoption/dog_meets_dog.html

Brittney, Please let me know if you can't handle that third Dachshund. I could give him a loving home with all the vet care and everything he needs. Ours just passed away and we want to get another one. So far we haven't seen any around here, but we just started looking. I know we can't replace the one we lost, but we can love another one.

Pets Dogs Dog Breeds DachshundOctober 12, 2007
Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
Adding Raw Food To Your Diet
Dachshund and Schnauzer Mix
Dachshund and Schnauzer Mixed Breed Information and Photos
Adding Scent to Old Potpourri, Dried Flowers in Container
Adding Scent to Old Potpourri
Dachshund/Pomeranian
Dachshund/Pomeranian Mix Photos
🎉
🎄