Buy Store Brands For Big Savings

When grocery shopping, watch for store brands. They're usually always cheaper than national brands. On a recent grocery shopping trip, in the store sales flyer, I spied a name brand saltine crackers on sale 2 for $4.00. This sounded good to me, but when I was about to pick up this product, I looked over to the store brand of saltine crackers, that were the same size packaging. They were $1.25 each, making a savings of .75 cents a box!

By Terri H. from NV

And very often the store brand is the exact same product as the name brand, with just different packaging on the outside. Sometimes not, but very often that's the case--same product, different name on the package. I find I'm sometimes better off w/the store brand price, even if I have coupons for the name brand. Also, you have to check unit pricing to be sure you're really getting the best price on an item--it can be deceiving, so check the unit price too.

Another good tip that goes hand in hand with this one, is try to buy the largest sized package you can use, and you can save almost 10% per unit weight over the smaller packages. Buying meat this way is also good as long as you take into consideration the cost of repackaging these bulk packs into smaller freezer bags.