Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Tree Sap From Hair

How do you remove pine tree sap from your hair? I want to use stuff you can find around school.

By Ali from Canada

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Tree Sap From Hair

How do I remove tree sap from my hair?

Donna from PA

RE: Removing Tree Sap From Hair

Believe it or not, peanut butter will do the job! I used to use it on my kids' hands when they got pitch on them - it is non-toxic and it really does work. (12/27/2006)

By Chris

RE: Removing Tree Sap From Hair

Peanut butter is one item, but it's really the oil that does the trick. Anything oily - vegetable oil, lard, Goo-Gone. (12/29/2006)

By CarlaJS

RE: Removing Tree Sap From Hair

My little girl had sap in her hair yesterday. I was able to remove it by rubbing olive oil (less than a teaspoon) on the sapped area until it dissolved the sap (a quite interesting smell; like a tree salad), and then shampoo her hair at bath time. (06/08/2007)

By Jose

RE: Removing Tree Sap From Hair

I just got done using olive oil to remove tree sap from my daughter's hair (after reading the suggestions listed) -- and it worked perfectly! (06/18/2007)

By Tracey

RE: Removing Tree Sap From Hair

I also used olive oil! Thank you for the tip, it worked great. Now it looks like I haven't washed my hair for a year though! (08/05/2007)

By Rosie

RE: Removing Tree Sap From Hair

WD-40 worked great! (08/09/2007)

By Jimi Hendrix

RE: Removing Tree Sap From Hair

After having hard hair for 3 days and no solution to the problem. Just thought I would let you know that OLIVE OIL does work - thank you so much as I thought I would have to cut my hair off! (09/05/2007)

By Sandy

RE: Removing Tree Sap From Hair

Thanks, it really worked. (04/11/2008)

By Andrew

RE: Removing Tree Sap From Hair

Olive oil really works. I had doubts, but since the sap was in my husband's hair, I was willing to try it! Just a small amount of oil, rubbed on the sap for maybe 30 seconds, and the sap just disintegrated and was gone! Brilliant idea! (06/19/2008)

By Lucy

RE: Removing Tree Sap From Hair

Thanks so much worked great! It was in my dog's hair. (07/05/2008)

By CYD

RE: Removing Tree Sap From Hair

Ivory soap worked for us. Just scrub a dub dub for about a minute. (07/31/2008)

By John

RE: Removing Tree Sap From Hair

It really worked, I was ready to head over to my neighbor's house with a pair of scissors. My hair smells just like the pine salad someone else mentioned but I'll go with SMELL over GOO any day! (08/02/2008)

By MaryAnn DePasquale

RE: Removing Tree Sap From Hair

I was so scared! My little daughter (5yo) has never had her hair cut, EVER. This is for medical reasons I will not explain. Her hair is finally to her neck, but still can almost see her scalp. This has been a long ordeal with friends and emotions. She came up from the playing area and her hair was full of TREE SAP. I mean full. I didn't know what to do. I went to ASK.COM for the solution and found that OLIVE OIL will work, just a little on my fingers rubbed it off. Thank you olive oil, thank you. (08/05/2008)

By oregon

RE: Removing Tree Sap From Hair

Thank you so much for the suggestions. Our dog had some sap on him from camping and we were out of olive oil, but vegetable oil worked great! (08/15/2008)

By ISAAC AARON

RE: Removing Tree Sap From Hair

Tried the olive oil on my dog, worked like a charm! (08/29/2008)

By Judy

RE: Removing Tree Sap From Hair

On our trail walk today, my cat stepped in some sap. About 45 minutes later (and lots of walking on her part), we arrived home. I found this site and read about using olive oil to remove tree sap. I had some on hand, so I tried it. Amazing! It worked great and didn't require a lot of scrubbing or pulling on the hair between her toes. Thank you so much for the information! (10/21/2008)

By Holly