Something Is Eating My Garden!

First of all, I lost my entire garden to the severe hail we experienced. I have babied back what plants I could salvage and have been very protective of them. I was able to produce 1 pumpkin that I have promised to my granddaughter, but when I went to check on garden this morning something has eaten the whole side of it off. I spread blood meal all over the garden. They're even getting into the tomatoes, ate the lettuce and the carrot tops. Now what can I do, except raise my arms in defeat? I have worked so hard on this garden this whole summer.

Grammamare from Charlotte, MI

Sounds like a deer has been in the garden. Do a search on the computer to find out what will deter deer from a garden that you can plant to keep them away is my suggestion.

In our area it's possums. They'll eat everything. We have an animal trap. I've heard that you can put out mothballs to scare them away, haven't tried it, though.

Hi in my area it is foxes especially if they have had a large litter or if it has been a dry summer-they come in and eat the sides of and "suck" the water out of the produce. Our local conservation agent told us about this as we were confused as to why they just ate part of everything. Now I know that they were not looking for taste only for hydration.

My dad is having the same problem. He has a 5x10 garden with 3 ft posts and chicken wire all the way around it plus a small gate for him to enter/exit. He also has tarp covering the top (though loosely) at night to attempt to protect his garden. He has planted twice and each time overnight some critter is getting in it and eating everything down to the stems.

He has tried human hair, moth balls, and cayenne pepper and nothing deters this mystery creature. His next step is to place an electric fence around it or poison the plants and let this animal eat one last round... though I'm trying to keep him from doing something dangerous!

We are going to try coyote urine if we can find some. Last year he didn't have a problem and had wonderful produce. This year it's been a flop...twice now. Argh!

Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlSeptember 18, 2008
Bored Kid at a Restaurant
Keep Children Entertained When Eating Out
Couple being served a Salad
Eating Healthy While Eating Out
A grasshopper on a pink flower.
Grasshoppers Eating Flowers
A happy woman eating a salad.
Healthy Eating Advice