Make Your Own Butter and Whipped Cream

This tip is to help cut down on grocery cost with just a little time and fore-thought. Get heavy whipping cream (the best buy is a half gallon). Then, whip it with either an electric mixer or a whisk to your desired consistency (whipped cream has stiff peaks, while butter comes off the walls of the bowl and sticks to your whisk in a big clump). Experiment with what size bowl you use, as it does help.

Next, add your ingredient (use powdered sugar for whipped cream; salt for butter) to taste. Finally, put in smaller containers/waxed paper and store it in the freezer. The freezer keeps the butter/whipped cream longer. Take out each smaller portion and put in the fridge as needed. We get 3-4 lbs of butter from one half gallon, and it saves us a pretty penny.

Source: My husband.

By Davidicdancer from Spokane, WA

I would like to add, you need to rinse your butter with very cold water, and work it through with a fork. Then if desired you add your salt (salt is optional for flavor only). The rinsing keeps it fresher longer and helps it not to go rancid, since there are no preservatives.

I'm confused. Are you making butter from whipping cream or mixing butter with whipping cream? Does this make the butter easier to spread? Thanks.

Where in the world do you buy 1/2 gallon of whipping cream? I never have see that much in a container in the stores.

<b>Editor's Note: </b> You can purchase 1/2 gallons of whipping cream at Costco or Cash and Carry.

Laniegirl: Cash and Carry sells cream in half gallon sizes. Cash and Carry is a restaurant supply store, but you don't have to own a restaurant to make purchases there. Most larger cities have some sort of a restaurant supply store.

I made vanilla butter one time accidentally. I was whipping 1/2 gallon of cream in a floor mixer and forgot about it for a couple of minutes. We has the best French toast for breakfast the next day with the vanilla butter...but it took 1/2 hour from my day to clean the mixer package the butter, and re-make the whipped cream with powdered sugar and vanilla.

@mom-from-missouri I'm sorry that I forgot to mention about rinsing out the buttermilk. I was so excited about figuring out how to make butter. I just forgot. Thanks for mentioning it.

@mcdolemom. I was telling how to make both: butter or whipping cream. the cream gets to the whipped stage first, then a lot later than that, gets to the butter plus buttermilk stage. (if you keep beating it after the buttermilk separates, you remix it and it doesn't want to be butter anymore).

Freezing Whipped Cream. Making Whipped Cream
Making Whipped Cream
Food and Recipes Food Tips DairySeptember 11, 2009
Whipped butter on a waffle.
Making Whipped Butter
Whipped Cream Cheese
Making Whipped Cream Cheese
Freezing Whipped Cream
Frozen Whipped Topping on Blueberries
Using Frozen Whipped Topping
🎄