Repairing a Plastic Zipper That Burst Open

I have a back pack that I really like, but the zipper has been burst by putting too many books in it. The zipper is plastic. Is there anything to do to repair it?

By Anne from Dry Prong, LA

Take it to a shoe repair shop and have a new zipper put in. Go for a heavier-duty one.

I have had this happen to my boys backpacks a lot! Not sure if I can explain well how I've fixed them but here goes. Take the end where your zipper is when open, cut one side and take your zipper off the track on that side. Try to zip it back on track right to where it'll zip. When you get it back on track and zipping right, then you take a needle and thread and sew the end of your zipper tracks back together, right above your cut. Sew them very good so the zipper cannot come back off. Also sometimes, I found my boys tend to also bend their zipper by trying to hold the weight with the zipper while zipping. Take a pair of pliers and and make sure your zipper is not spread. This will cause it to not stay on track also. Hope this helps

I forgot if the teeth are messed up on the tracks it won't work it's gonna keep messing up and gonna have to replace zipper.This remedy will only help if the teeth aren't messed up. That's what my mom always called them she worked for Garan's for years.

You can do this on metal zippers, too.