Stain Color Suggestions for Kitchen Cabinets

I have a small kitchen with pecan colored cabinets and pecan wood flooring, multi-taupe countertops with cream color wall. What color can I stain the cabinets to make them pop? Also does anyone have any suggestions about lighting?

By Rob from South Jordan

Hi Rob! Here's my 2 cents. Since the appliances are white I would paint the cabinets white and add stainless steel hardware that has a traditional or vintage look. Lighting could be a simple traditional or vintage type....a small pendant or flush-mount in the center and a small, complimentary pendant fixture for over the sink. However, If you want a modern feel and are considering new appliances in a different color, I would probably go for a dark stain. Consider removing the trim on the front of the doors (if possible) for a sleek look and add large, cool stainless steel handles. I would consider a modern pendant or flush-mount light fixture. I light Home Depot for light fixtures, they have lots of choices and great prices. Good luck on your updates! :)

I personally would leave those cabinets alone. I don't think painted cabinets are ever as good as actual wood stain, which is what you have there. If you want POP, paint the walls in whatever color you really like or that is trendy at the moment. Go with new window coverings, and a few new accessories, way cheaper and less trouble, and easier to change.

I like an apple motif, so I would paint the walls an olive green (or any green that you like, pale, or deep), hang curtains with an apple motif or red blinds, get a red toaster and a red apple cookie jar. If you want something country, you could go with red walls and some country holstein cow type accessories.

Or choose something more trendy, lemons and limes. You can also find towels, place mats, etc that match your theme.

And staining the cabinets another wood color wouldn't change the overwhelming effect of wood, which is caused by your wood flooring. Try a nice throw rug in front of the sink.

I also think you should leave the cabinets alone. They are lovely and are perfect with your floors! You can make them stand out and add warmth and depth by simply painting the walls with a real color. Perhaps a shade similar to, but a tad lighter because your kitchen is small, of your countertops. You'll save yourself a lot of time and money, too.

The only suggestion on lighting is that you can hook up a dimmer switch for your overhead lighting. I have one in my kitchen and 'love it!' :-)

Your cabinets are beautiful! Please leave them alone and paint the walls instead, as other posters have suggested. Add some accessories in primary colors (red, blue or yellow) for the "pop". Please don't ruin such lovely wooden cabinets by staining or painting them!

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating KitchenNovember 2, 2010
White painted kitchen cabinets.
Cleaning Painted Cabinets
Kitchen With Maple Cabinets
Paint Color Advice for Kitchen With Maple Cabinets
Wood cabinet doors ready to be painted.
Painting Wood Cabinets
Cleaning yellow stains on cabinets.
Cleaning Kitchen Cabinets