Freezer Reviews

I would like to know your recommendation of a good freezer, about 10 cubic feet.

Berta from Detroit, MI

When we bought our freezer back in the late winter (around feb. i am thinking) I went online and went to the yahoo search engines and typed in freezer recommendations. I know I spent maybe 1 hour researching what we needed, because you need a certain cubic foot per family member and don't remember that. I also think it is important to get one with a keyed lock. I don't know if i am much help because I don't remember our brand name. I know it was a maytag/whirlpool's scratch and dent sale,and most likely the latter. you can save mega bucks if you are willing to get one a little dinged up. Also ask yourself if you need a chest freezer. Can you stand on your head while you get in the freezer digging around? Or do you want an upright, much easier to navigate in? Our upright has a metal basket at the bottom and we put all our hamburger packages down there. If you use the presto seal-a-meal packager available at the super walmart (not that i want to plug them, only store around here) and put your hamburger up in these packages it keeps for a very long period of time. No more freezer burn for us. What got freezer burned was the ham I forgot and left in there for 3 monthes. Anyway, research you want to self-defrost...or frost free? Lots of variables that might work for you and not for somebody else. I found out about the scratch and dent sale by pulling up the nearest city's online classifieds and just happened to luck out. Good luck.

We bought a Sears Kenmore frost free upright 13.7 cu. ft. freezer 3 years ago for about $380 and I absolutely love it. I once had a smaller chest type freezer and hated it. Things got lost in the bottom and forgotten about and it was virtually impossible to organize. I really like the fact that the upright opens like a refrigerator where you can see everything and it is much easier to organize. It does have a lock on it but since there aren't any kids around we don't use it. Our's is kept in the garage. Anyway, although it's just my husband and me, we keep it filled. I buy the family packages of meat and repackage them for 2 in freezer bags. I also like to buy the huge family size bags of veggies like california mix, broccoli, stir fry, etc. In fact the bottom basket is full of vegetables. Anything I cook, I cook for at least 4 and then package the leftovers in freezer bags. I keep baking stuff (flour, yeast, corn meal, etc.) in the freezer. I freeze cheese, chocolate, chocolate chips, fruit, nuts, just about anything! I keep some frozen dinners on hand for those days I'm just to tired to cook, and of course, this time of year (hurricane season) I also bag up lots of ice ... just in case.

Chest Freezer
Chest Freezer Reviews
Consumer Advice Product Reviews KitchenAugust 3, 2006
Kenmore Fridge
Kenmore Freezer Not Working
Opening a Freezer
Troubleshooting a Freezer
Open chest freezer
Cleaning a Freezer After a Power Outage
Small chest freezer with top closed.
Cleaning a Freezer