My Frugal Life: First Time On My Own

Being a young woman who is not from the most well off family, I have and hold frugality close to my heart. My Frugal Life From the patchwork duct tape tent to the tea pot water jug I've grown up with, the beggars can't be choosers mind set has gotten me through some weeks with only $20 in my pocket! Now I've moved out on my own for the first time and am loving it, thanks for the training from Mom and Dad.

The local Dollar Store has turned into my oasis of last minute affordable random things. Some that serve to entertain, like the Valentine's Day misspelled Velcro dart board and the makeshift mini canvases with cheap pastels to doodle on. Other things serve to fill the void until a slightly higher caliber tool can be purchased, such as the sifter that rusts or the cheese grater that buckles, all things to laugh at and enjoy. I'm wary of the food aisle, but who isn't. That can serve it's purpose for the less questionable things like salt and pepper, and of course, candy.

It's more fun when you don't NEED to be frugal, but hey! That's life. For now, I'll just enjoy it frugally.

By Lindsey from Toronto, Ontario

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

Learn to live like a queen on less! I love the $ store for balloons which always and ever cheer folks up! Love to give "birthday" balloons of 3; tied to a back scratcher which everyone can use! You can live well; dine well; dress well; and still be able to give to others in need even on disability! Learn to be a miser adivsor; lurk here and find lots of great ideas that make you think: oh, if I'd only had a brain I'd have thought of that a long time ago! To funny! A group asked me to join them; thinking they could "help" me; instead I probably gave more to others in need!

Think: being thrifty is nifty and learn the joys of living!

This AM: overcast; raining; yet I have 3 daffodils in bloom! finally! Joy! My cup overrunneth with Joy!

I am awakened with songs, chirps, and sounds from the birds I feed; so loud in their joy that my neighbors across the street can hear them! I have cats who come to be fed, petted, brushed; and raccoons who come by with their antics at night!

God has me feed and water the animals: and He takes care of me the same! Where ever I live; will always and ever be beautiful; because being thrifty means surrounding yourself with beauty; rather read by a flashlight than having a lamp that is not a thing of beauty!

This is what "frugal" means to me!

Don't be wary of the food aisle, just be smart. My Dollar Tree has Starkist tuna pouches, olive oil, roasted red peppers, all natural sweet potato chips, unsalted roasted cashews, old fashioned oatmeal, jarred fruit, green tea, Italian dressing and more. I only buy all natural, healthy food. When you look past all the bright colors and preservatives, there is an abundance of great food at the dollar store.

That was sooo sweet. I remember when I moved out I lived on canned Raviolli; it was cheap back them. I remember running out of gas and a stranger giving me a buck to get me going. My Father died when I was very young and I too grew up dirt poor and had noone to go to for help. Sure was a learning experience. And you don't have to be poor to shop the Dollar Stores; I still shop there some. I think the ones who grew up with a silver spoon in their mouth have missed out on a lot.

Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeMarch 14, 2011
Parenting an Autistic Child, Diamond shaped traffic sign warning, autistic child area.
Parenting an Autistic Child
Piggy Bank Surrounded by Money
Adding Up the Savings of a Frugal Life
Putting Money in Change Purse
Living a Frugal Lifestyle
Buying a Cheap Car for First Time Driver, For Sale sign in Window of Used Car
Buying a Cheap Car for First Time Driver
🎄
🍂