AdviceHealth & Beauty

Piriformis Muscle Syndrome

Has anyone been diagnosed with Piriformis Muscle Syndrome? If so what do you do for this? How long have you had it? Does it ever go away?

J.R. from Aberdeen, MD

I started to have trouble 18 months ago. The strong pain is gone but I have to be careful with it. I am able to lift but have to avoid very heavy loads. I also bend using my leg muscles more than the lower back muscle. I wentto a physical She showed me exercises to stretch it and others to quiet it. Lay on your stomach. Push your upper body up with your arms. Piriformis is compressed and often stops hurting.

I have had it off and on and its deep into my buttock (catch the twitters!) My physio suggested taking a hard ball about the size of a tennis ball which works unless you're heavy, and rolling on top of it in the affected area its like them getting their elbow deep into the nerve. It has gone almost completely and only comes back if I do something silly.

I don't swim any more as I think it was poor technique which triggered it in the first place.

Good luck!

To stretch the prirformis: lay on your back, bend the affected leg bringing the knee toward your chest; rotate the foot across your body so that your knee is pointing away from your body, take the OPPOSITE hand and place it on the knee; pull the knee towards the opposite shoulder while maintaining the rotation of the leg (for ex: if having pain on left, pull left knee towards right shoulder using right hand); hold for a slow count of 10; relax; repeat 5 to 10 times; you should feel some discomfort until you have sufficiently stretched the muscle.

The doctor put me on skelaxin 800 mgs and loritab 7.5pain killers only 2 a day it really helps and drink coffee it helps.

Thanks to all who read and gave suggestions. I also was given skelaxin 800 mgs. Since I posted this message I took aquatic therapy which was very helpful & eventually relieved the pain.

When I went back for a check up, my sports medicine doctor recommended a Senior Wellness Aquatic Class at our local community college but I had to go back to the therapist for exercise which he gave me. I stopped the therapy ($45 for 3 days a week, my insurance paid the rest).

The exercise from the therapist & doctor keeps me from not taking the meds & most of the exerise at the Senior Wellness Aquatic Class have been very beneficial & are about the same I was taking in therapy. I will go back to the Senior Wellness Aquatic Class for the fall, winter & spring sessions. If you are not 60 or over you pay full price which was $75. If you are 60 and over the cost was $50.00