Use Knife Block as Clapper

I really enjoy sewing, but lack the finances to buy some things I would like to have. For quite some time, I have wished that I could afford to buy a clapper, like I have seen on some sewing shows. I was in the kitchen the other day and decided to remove the knife block I had on the kitchen cabinet to allow more space (my kitchen is very small). It dawned on me that I can use the knife block as a clapper. Guess what? I did and it works just fine. Now it has a new home in my chest of drawers where I keep my fabric. I sure hope you can use this idea. You can find knife blocks at thrift stores from one dollar to five or six. Have a great day!

By letageraldine from Tucson, AZ

Editor's Note: A clapper is a wood block you use when pressing seams.

I hate to seem stupid, but I've been sewing over 40 years and never heard this term or what this is describing? I dont watch the sewing shows (there is only one on t.v. here in Ontario) and really dont bother much with U-Tube unless looking for a specific item.

Can you explain to me what this is your doing with the knife block please; it may be something I wish to get in on as well.

Thanks in advance.

BJM in Oshawa Ontario, Canada

It's a piece of hardwood used to make a very clean, crisp seam or crease when ironing. You steam the seam the immediately put the clapper on it and the weight helps press open the seam or "seal in" the crease. Sometimes, they're called a tailor's clapper.

A sewing room garbage can by tying a bag to the table leg.
Sewing Tips And Tricks
Crafts SewingJuly 7, 2010
sewing machine
Sewing Vinyl
Wood Knife Holder
Making a Kitchen Knife Holder
Electric Knife
Using an Electric Knife
Magnetic Knife Holder
Making a Magnetic Knife Holder
🎉
🎄