Leaves on Dwarf Pear Curling and Turning Black

I have a young pear tree that is two years old, dwarf stock. It has steadily got very bushy, but they recommend you don't cut it back. The leaves are turning black and curling, what can I use? I don't want to lose my tree.

By Paul from Great Britain

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

It sounds like peach tree leaf curl. It is caused by an insect pest. There is nothing to be done this year but in the Autumn, after the pests have gone back down into the soil you need to put a grease band around the trunk of the tree about 12'18 inches from the ground. Then when they try to crawl back up in the spring they will get stuck and trapped by the grease.

Grease is used becase it doesn't wash off. in the winter rain. It also helps if you clear up fallen leaves and loosen the top of the soil around the tree, this exposes the bugs the birds can get them then.

Read stretcher.com and search under fruit trees for treating your tree in the fall. Same excellent treatment tips as given by Mrs Christmas, but suggestions for dormant sprays as well.

Answer

Home and Garden Gardening Fruit TreesJune 10, 2010
Tomato Plants
Tomato Plants Leaves Turning Yellow
Lilac Bush
Lilac Leaves Turning Yellow
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
Dogwood tree in spring.
Leaves Turning Brown on Dogwood Tree
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 29, 2016 at 1:17:21 AM on 10.0.2.101 in 919 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.