Tying a Quilt Without a Frame

I am going to tie a twin size quilt. I usually have used a friend's frame, but she has moved. How can I tie a quilt without using a frame?

Karen from Woodland Hills, UT

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

The same way I did my quilting without a quilting frame. Lay out all the layers on the clean floor and baste along the edges and X thru the middle. It might take an hour or so. Make the basting stitches very large about 3 inches apart. You can then roll it up and tie it anywhere. Remove the basting at the end. Good Luck

Here is a picture of the quilt I made for my son and daughter-in-law for their wedding present.

I did this once, too. It worked really well. The only thing I did differently was I rolled the finished part up as I went to cut down on the number of times I had to stand up, and then bend down again.

Or you can pin. I start the same, lay all layers out on the floor in the correct order. Get everything all smoothed out and then I put a safety pin everywhere I plan on making a tie. Then I can lift up the quilt, roll it up, sew around the edges or anything else. When I go to tie I tie at the safety pin and take it out. You can buy bent "quilting" pins at almost any sewing store - and they are a life saver in my opinion.

You can make a frame very easy. Get everything you need from Lowe's, good luck.

A couple of times I hung everything over my outside clothes line. I then basted through all layers and hand quilted later. A few other times, after hanging over the clothes line, I safety pinned through all layers. Then I took it inside and tied it.

I have never tied a quilt on a frame. I have always done it on the floor. In the instructions I learned from, the lady just laid it on her bed and tied it.

Answer

Quilting Tips and Tricks, Nine patch quilt block and tools.
Quilting Tips and Tricks
Crafts QuiltingFebruary 24, 2009
Up close photo of quilt binding.
Binding a Quilt
Paper pieced quilt top, endless chains pattern.
Making a Paper Pieced Quilt
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
A pile of old photos.
Making a Photo Quilt
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 27, 2016 at 9:08:10 PM on 10.0.1.75 in 306 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.