Summer Library Programs

Most local Libraries have great summer reading programs. It's free, it's fun and it's educational! Our local libraries have a wonderful program for kids. The child colors in a circle on a chart for every 20 minutes they read and when they get halfway around the chart, they get a free pizza.

When they get to the end of the reading chart they get a wonderful arts and crafts box full of goodies! My 6 year old granddaughter is reading up a storm this summer so she can get that prize at the end! Each library has different summer programs, call yours and ask what they offer. Your kids will thank you for it! No more "Mom, I'm bored!" this summer!

By Cyinda from Near Seattle

Thank you for sharing My grand kids take part every yr. in the local library reading program.

Sometimes when I look back, it seems that my 4 children spent half their young lives in a library. In addition to being avid readers, they grew up with a great respect for books in general and an enduring love for some of their favorites.

Like me, they still will go back and read every one of the original "Little House On the Prairie" books, and when times get tough, they think about what Laura Ingalls' family would have done in that situation. I often wonder if Laura Ingalls ever knew just how much she was able to influence people who read her wonderful books? They have gotten our family through many tight spots just knowing that other people have conquered greater hardhips than we're facing. It's almost like a challenge to see if and what we are capable of doing ourselves.

There is no greater gift a parent can give a child than to teach them to love reading. Our son had a

little plaque that hung on his bedroom door which said, "Richer than I am, you can never be for I have

parents who read to me." He still has that plaque which he plans to hang on the wall of his children's room one day.

Libraries are not only "rooms" but are the doors which open all other doors.

Thumb's UP for your excellent advice.

Pookarina

Check around with the local retail places as well (especially bookstores). I know that Half Price books is running a summer reading program that goes through the end of the month. 15 minutes of reading per day for a week = a $3.00 gift card each week that the goal is completed. Usually Barnes and Noble runs a summer reading program as well, but I haven't checked into the details for this one this year.

I love the library. I have taught our kids from a young age, that it is a great and awesome place.

Cyndia, thanks for sharing this! I am voting for it!

Robyn

Robyn

Rows of books in a library
Using Your Public Library
Parenting Summer FunJuly 23, 2009
A family at an animal shelter.
Services Offered at Animal Shelters
Wedding programs.
Saving Money on Wedding Programs
woman using computer
Using Microsoft Office Programs
image of library due date card
Remembering to Return Items to the Library
🎉
🎄