Use Central Air Fan to Save Energy

When it gets very hot in the summer and my central air conditioning doesn't seem to be able to get everything equally cool, instead of running extra fans in rooms where there are no ceiling fans, I use the fan setting on the central air. It circulates the air very well and makes the whole house seem cooler just the way a fan does. It costs less money to run and thus no need to turn your air down and use more electricity to cool the house. Just make sure to change furnace/air filter more often. You can also do this in the winter when heating. Circulate the air for more warmth. I have been doing this for years, circulating the air in the whole house and saving money.

By xintexas from San Antonio, TX

I've also been doing this for the last several years along with using ceiling fans. I also run my furnace fan in the winter and it keeps my heating bill down also.

Does this help with humidity to?

I disagree that central air conditioning is more energy efficient because you are cooling the entire house when only a few rooms are being occupied. I prefer to buy cheap $99 air conditioners for each room so that occupants can cool as needed, to the temperature they desire. When I'm sleeping, for example, why would I want to cool or circulate the entire house?

Likewise for fans. Dyson and similarly "bladeless" fans use a very energy efficient digital motor. My Dyson uses 8 watts on its lowest setting and provides a comfortable very natural breeze. I basically leave it on 24/7. And if I want to circulate cool air, I simply place it in front of the air conditioner (I also use a Vornado for that if I wanted more powerful targeted air movement).

What about a heat pump? I also use a Dyson. Love it.

Woman Cooling Her Home With Additional Insulation
Cooling Your Home
Home and Garden Home Improvement CoolingJuly 23, 2010
Refurbished a Ceiling Fan
Refurbishing a Ceiling Fan
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality
Central Air Conditioner
Central Air Conditioner Reviews
Madison, WI capital building
South Central Wisconsin Frugal Travel Guide