Registering For Wedding Gifts When You Don't Need Anything

I'm getting married this summer, and between the two of us we already have everything and more than we need in our home. So when it comes to wedding gifts we don't really need anything. (Other than a little extra cash!) Where should I register and what for? My parents, friends, and family all want to get us stuff, but we don't know what we need. Help!

Brittney from Delta, Colorado

Request that a donation to a worthy charity be made in honor of your marriage.

My daughter's friend had a "gift card shower". They really racked up getting over $1,000 in gift cards!

How about telling everyone to take the amount that they would have spent on your wedding and gifting themselves/their own union with it. "And, in the end, the love you take/ Is equal to the love you make."

The charitable donation is a good idea. I think you have to give people *some* outlet for their gift-giving urges in a situation like this.

When I got married 3 years ago, my husband and I tried to go the "no-gifts-please" route; we even eloped and had no celebration of any kind. But we did send announcement postcards afterward, which triggered the inevitable "shower" of unasked-for gifts. We nearly broke our hands writing thank-you notes (which had been one reason we did everything so low-key and told people "no gifts"). On the positive side, though, we got enough money to almost cover our wedding trip!

How about suggesting to your mom that she get a large bucket and fill it full of dirt. In the dirt plant a large dead branch with small clothes pins or paper clips attached. You now have a "MONEY TREE" everyone that comes by can put a folded $ on the branch with the attached clip. You can use this at church and move it to where ever you are having a shower & wedding, etc. This can solve the problem for you and your guest on what to buy. It work great we use this idea at church if the couple has been previously married and they already have everything.

Charitable donations are great. Gift cards are great. My son and soon to be daughter in law registered at WalMart and Target. Seems there are a few things that new married couple need even if they think they have everything. They didn't have a scale for weighing themselves, needed some extra bath towels, toaster, little things like that. I think registering at a WalMart or something is something everyone getting married should do. That way everyone knows what you REALLY need. Go thru the list and see what you need that you didn't think you needed. Good Luck on your marriage

tell them to start you a honeymoon money pot or food is always helpful tell them to bring things like staples that last can goods etc. they can be given in things like laundry baskets, hampers etc, things you need exrta of GOOD LUCK ON YOUR NEW LIFE TOGETHER! GOD BLESS YOU BOTH!

This is a tough one. You don't want to look tacky by asking for money outright. The simplest thing would be to set up a standard registry at a big, easily accessible store, like Target, Macy's, or even Wal Mart. You can use the registry to ask for upgraded versions of things you already have (glassware, dishes, linens, etc) or things that you would find on a typical wedding registry. Bigger stores tend to have wonderful return policies, especially with registry items. When I got married, I had a similar problem. People enjoy giving gifts and want to be helpful, but it just doesn't always work out so easily. The most important part is making sure you write wonderful thank you notes, regardless of what you get. And that can be hard to do when you know that you've already returned what you're writing the thank you note for... Also, most online registries have gift card options, but I was raised to think that that was tacky. It's most likely an outdated opinion, but it may still ring true with older relatives.

you can get landscaping stuff. or stuff that you will need but will always run out of. paper towel, toilet paper, sandwich bags, computer spray air, rubber bands, stamps and return address labels.cleaning stuff. craft projects.

You really are one lucky lady to already have everything you need! The suggestions already are good.. but how about a 'No gifts please, we are just happy to have your company' card to all your guests pre wedding.

If you would like to pass on your blessings. Check out making a wish for a needy sick child. Or make a list of people or programs in your area that you'd like to be a blessing to. Maybe a shelter that can use a microwave, an iron, extra sheets, dishes, and that's just to name a few.

If you're moving into a home, maybe registery at Home Depot or Lowes. Lighting, fencing, paint, new fixtures for the bathroom or kitchen, patio, or deck needs. For an example you may want a music room or home theater. Register for music CDs, movies, surround sound, wall units, just to name a few. Then take before and after pics and send them as a follow up on that thank you. I invited friends and family that give us those kind of gifts to a home blessing and thank you. Everyone enjoyed seeing how their gift was just the perfect thing we needed!

I would register for a few "upgraded" items - maybe new bedding and towels, a couple nice kitchen gadgets, anything that you already have but it's looking worn or mismatched. I would also let the moms and sisters know of a few big ticket items you are saving for so when people ask what to give you they can say you are saving for a new whatever. When we got married, lots of people kept asking, my mom if we needed anything that wasn't on the registry. She told them we were trying to save up for some nice furniture. Somehow, if people know how you're planning to spend the money, they still feel like they've given you a personal gift. It makes writing thank-yous much easier as well since you're not thanking someone for something you already returned :-)

Ask that they make a "gift". Something even baked, or like cookie dough in a large mason jar to freeze (get the cooking instructions, though lol lol). Something to go with something you have or do (their favorite recipes on index cards, ribbon/paper bookmarks) just anything like that cause it's from the heart more so.

My friend registered at Honeymoonwishes.com. It's this neat site that allows your guests to give money towards activities for you to do on your honeymoon.

I am going through the same thing. We have everything, so we are just going to register with a couple places and maybe pick 5 things from each place we would like new. Chances are people usually give money nowadays anyways. Just think you can always regift the toaster, wooden spoons!;-) Best of luck!

I am in the same boat as you. what we are doing is registering for upgraded stuff- like a new feather duvet instead of our fibrefill one. Some new towels. New bedding, some decor items. We have lived on our own for 9 years, and bought a house last year which we got lots of hpusewarming gifts for, and bought all new furniture... so we could use $ to pay down student loans and stuff rather than more STUFF, but it's kind of unavoidable. If you don't register you get stuff you dont want or need. And, if you get items and decide you don't want them you can return them for store credit or cash- though most people think that's e to return items for cahs... register for gift cards at places like WalMart. That way, you can use the gift card for groceries, and necessities, and save yourself some $ that way. :)

A couple opening wedding gifts.
Registering for Wedding Gifts
Weddings GiftsMarch 27, 2008
A married couple in a moutain setting.
Ideas for a "Green" Wedding
Two tiered wedding cake with flowers on top.
Saving Money on a Wedding Cake
Colorful Bridal Bouquets
Choosing Wedding Colors
Bride and Groom Putting Money in Piggy Bank
Creating a Budget for Your Wedding
🎉
🎄