Uses for Leftover Rug Yarn

I have lots of rug yarn, the 4 inch pieces. I don't know what to do with them. What do you do with left over rug yarn?

By kemptongirl from Sequim, WA

These pieces are just the right size to make a hook-latch rug with. Make up your own design with dots & swirls of all colors. You can also make pompoms too! Attach the pompoms to key rings or backpack clips for kids or to the tops of kids tennis shoes. They look very cute on flip-flops too!

You might want to use them somehow to make colorful poofy luggage tags. They would enable a person to easily spot their luggage at the airport. You might be able to weave them into some small pieces of plastic canvas with some initials for gifts. Hope this helps.

Hair for small doll or ornament heads, I even use the wild stuff for my angels hairs. Stuff small items with it as it is pretty soft and plushy for small toys etc. You can buy rug hooking canvas by the yard and try making what I call a crazy carpet. Cut a 4-6" square or circle of rug canvas (leave a row or two of canvas holes for turning under) Then just go wild, hooking with a latchet hook until the shape is covered. Turn under and hand stitch the raw edge to the back. Use self adhesive felt to line the back side.

Use it as a mug rug or coaster for drinks. I have also made several, and stitched them together like a patchwork rug, again backed with felt, the sewn on type this time to coordinated with the colors of yarn used in the pieces since you will only sew the patches together in about 4 spots, so the felt will show through. if you use round patches it kind of looks like one of those felt rugs called a penny rug, only bigger circles of course. You can make it any size and I recommend button twist or extra strong thread known as carpet thread for sewing it together for strength and durability.

You can buy blank rug canvas and create your own design!

Good to "paint" with. Using cardboard, plywood, or whatever as your foundation, You can paint on a background color first - if desired. Using Elmer's Glue All, start filling in areas of your "painting" with the yarn pieces.

I've bought some blank backing and made a rug. I hooked my leftover yarn into stripes, varying the widths by the amount of yarn I had. Once done, I gave it to my sister as a gift. That was about 30 years ago. She still uses it; I saw it a couple years ago, and it still looks really neat.

Uses for Leftover Yarn
Uses for Leftover Yarn
Crafts AdviceMay 19, 2009
Wind Yarn with a Hand Mixer
Rolling Up Leftover Yarn
Pom Pom Rug
Making a Pom Pom Rug
ornamental rug
Removing Rug Dye from Carpet