Do Thermal Insulated Curtains Really Help?

By sanemom4 7 2

Does anyone know if those thermo curtains work? You see them at Walmart and Target. They have a special backing to the curtains that are energy efficient and of course block out light.

By sanemom4 from North Kingstown, RI

Showing: Answers Sort

By Myrna 17 1,083 Flag

Yes, the thermo drapes do help blockout the heat of summer and the chill of winter's glass panes; however, I recommend washing them by hand as I did them in the washing machine following mfg. instructions and a lot of the backing chipped off when they stuck together when wet. I did not put them in the dryer. Granted WalMart may be cheaper priced than a better quality elsewhere, but the material itself is in great condition. The backing is of cheap quality and the drapes did keep their shape after washing. I am disappointed at paying so much for them and after a first wash, the backing did not hold up as expected. I feel like I was gouged pricewise because of it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Joan 13 1,479 Flag

I always washed my thermal backed curtains/drapes in the washer and never had any trouble with the backing peeling off, even where they stuck together. The ones I had I ordered out of the Montgomery Wards catalog back in the 70s. The ones I had were so big it would have been really hard to wash them by hand.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By applesauce 8 55 Flag

Yes, thermal backed drapes do work. When you purchase the drapes/curtains be sure that the backing is not the very thin kind you can find in some stores. The extra $$ you will spend is well worth it. You just have to use your "common sense" when purchasing them as to what is a good backing and what is not.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Linda 45 303 Flag

I found insulated drapes in our "new" home and yes, they do keep some of the heat out. I also put up bubble wrap in the window, west facing and that helped even more. I have not washed them yet!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Mary Lou 4 16 Flag

Yes they do and when they were replaced I used them like meat in a sandwich in some lap robes. That worked out far better then I expected. The lap robes were around for a very long time!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By meshelle 4 24 Flag

Yep they sure do work! As previous response, make sure you buy decent thickness insulation as they do keep a room warm in the winter (in the uk).

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By sanemom4 7 2 Flag

Thanks for the feedback! Is there a brand name one would recommend for thermo curtains?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Consumer Advice General AdviceSeptember 8, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Hanging Curtains With Pleat Hooks
Hanging Curtains
Measuring Windows for New Curtains, Gold colored curtains and white sheers hanging on a wondow.
Measuring Windows for New Curtains
Starching Curtains
Starching Curtains
Insulated Drinking Glass
Using Insulated Drinking Glasses
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 2:13:42 PM on 10.0.0.253 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings