Do Thermal Insulated Curtains Really Help? - Categories:

General AdviceConsumer Advice

Do Thermal Insulated Curtains Really Help?

Does anyone know if those thermo curtains work? You see them at Walmart and Target. They have a special backing to the curtains that are energy efficient and of course block out light.

By sanemom4 from North Kingstown, RI

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Yes, the thermo drapes do help blockout the heat of summer and the chill of winter's glass panes; however, I recommend washing them by hand as I did them in the washing machine following mfg. instructions and a lot of the backing chipped off when they stuck together when wet. I did not put them in the dryer. Granted WalMart may be cheaper priced than a better quality elsewhere, but the material itself is in great condition. The backing is of cheap quality and the drapes did keep their shape after washing. I am disappointed at paying so much for them and after a first wash, the backing did not hold up as expected. I feel like I was gouged pricewise because of it.

I always washed my thermal backed curtains/drapes in the washer and never had any trouble with the backing peeling off, even where they stuck together. The ones I had I ordered out of the Montgomery Wards catalog back in the 70s. The ones I had were so big it would have been really hard to wash them by hand.

Yes, thermal backed drapes do work. When you purchase the drapes/curtains be sure that the backing is not the very thin kind you can find in some stores. The extra $$ you will spend is well worth it. You just have to use your "common sense" when purchasing them as to what is a good backing and what is not.

I found insulated drapes in our "new" home and yes, they do keep some of the heat out. I also put up bubble wrap in the window, west facing and that helped even more. I have not washed them yet!

Yes they do and when they were replaced I used them like meat in a sandwich in some lap robes. That worked out far better then I expected. The lap robes were around for a very long time!

Yep they sure do work! As previous response, make sure you buy decent thickness insulation as they do keep a room warm in the winter (in the uk).

Thanks for the feedback! Is there a brand name one would recommend for thermo curtains?

Consumer Advice General AdviceSeptember 8, 2010
Hanging Curtains With Pleat Hooks
Hanging Curtains
Measuring Windows for New Curtains, Gold colored curtains and white sheers hanging on a wondow.
Measuring Windows for New Curtains
A sewing machine making repairs.
Repairing Thermal Backing on Curtains
Starching Curtains
Starching Curtains
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 8:01:23 AM on 10.0.2.7 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.