Saving Money on Snacks

A snack bucket with chips on the outside.
Snacks are a great item to have around to tide you over between meals, especially for children. This is a guide about saving money on snacks.

Pierce the middle of the packet of crisps and tear a nice large round hole, making your crisp/chip bag into a ready-made bowl. For salty snacks, buffets and barbecues, leave out your bags like this and you save using crockery that needs washing up. Simply throw away when empty!

We often have left-over potato chips and hate to throw them out, but they eventually get stale and end up in the garbage. That was, until my friend told me about putting them into your freezer. Yep, just clip the bag shut, and throw it in there.

I was dubious but when I tried it, lo and behold, they were fresh as new. No need to "defrost", just eat 'em up. Even if left out all evening, they do not wilt, go soggy, nothing! Try it, you'll be amazed.

By syntoniser from Canada

Here are some ideas on how to save money on snack food from the ThriftyFun community. Share your own snack tips below.

Dollar Store

I buy snacks at the dollar store. In addition to chips, pretzels, crackers, salsa and chip dip, I get dried fruit like apricots and pineapple, sunflower seeds, trail mix and craisins. Not all at once, of course.

By Jean

Cereal Squares

When the boxes of cereal are sitting there with just a little bit in each one, I "clean" it up by mixing the cereal together and making them in squares like rice krispie squares. I just add them to marshmallows and sometimes I add nuts or raisins or other dried fruit that I have on hand. The kids eat them up and I don't have a pile of mostly empty boxes hanging around!

By vinnyswoman

Buy Bulk Instead Of Individual Snacks

Instead of paying extra for the packaging, I buy the larger sizes of chips, raisins, applesauce and portion them out into individual servings. You can use sandwich baggies or get some small tupperware containers that you can reuse.

By Jess

Sam's Club Card

I'm a junior in college, so when I need to buy food for my room I always go to Sam's Club, where my parents have a discount card. It saves me a ton of money and I get about three or four times the amount of product for my hard-earned cash.

By Pauly-Wauly

Popcorn

Make your own popcorn instead of buying expensive microwave bags. Growing up, this was our number one snack. I do mine on the stove but air poppers are easy and there are even ways to make your own microwave popcorn at home. It's even healthy if you go easy on the butter and salt.

J.

Car Snack Box

Buy granola bars and other individually packaged snacks on sale, with coupons or at the dollar store. Then find a lunch box and put a couple of each kind inside. Store the lunch box in the car always. This way you do not waste money buying expensive snacks on the road! We have saved so much money doing this. We even keep water bottles in trunk for drinks or in case of a car problem.

By Starchild from Lamoille County, VT

Cartoon Characters on Products for Less

Do your children beg for products emblazoned with their favorite characters? I know my children do, and it makes me crazy! The same yogurt can cost up to two dollars more because it has some kind of cartoon character on it. What I have taken to doing is going to my local Dollar store and buying several large package of stickers bearing my children's favorite characters. One dollar will usually garner me four sheets bearing about 15 stickers each.

I then will buy the lowest price brand of cereal, yogurt, body wash, shampoo, what have you, and place character stickers on the products. Voila, my sons are suddenly thrilled to be eating/ using the lower priced product! This probably wouldn't work for older kids, but it works usually for the preschool through early elementary set that whines/ begs for the "Scooby" yogurt, the "Shrek" yogurt, etc., anyway. Hope this helps!

By Karen

Saving Money on Diet Snacks

Instead of buying the expensive pre-packaged diet snacks, I buy a large bag of good diet snacks and I measure the serving myself ahead of time and I put them in ziplock baggies. That way, I can just get them out and eat them or take them with me. Buying them by the big bag is much cheaper.

By Cindy Stout from Ohio

Don't Buy Candy From Vending Machines

Stop buying candy out of the vending machines. Stock up on your favorite candy bars at the store when they go on sale for 3 for $1 or 4 for $1 - much cheaper than $.75 a piece in the vending machine.

By Mere

Several Snack Saving Ideas

Buy store brand crackers and cookies -they are usually about half the price with the same taste. Bake your own homemade cookies! Pick fruit in season and dry it yourself - or freeze it.

By QueenBeeCrafts

A Bowl of Fruit for Healthy Snacks

Keep a bowl of fruit on your table within easy reach for the children. Fruit is so much better for them to snack on that sugary candies, cakes, and cookies.

By Robin

Sweetening Popcorn - Kettle Corn Alternative

To make a simple sweet popcorn snack just sprinkle your freshly popped unbuttered popcorn with salt and sugar to taste. Kids love this and it is much easier to make than kettle corn or caramel corn.

By Monique

Make Your Own Trail Mix

Do you love the trail mix that you can purchase but don't love the price you have to pay? I make my own mixing walnut pieces, almonds, raw cashews, currants, raisins, small pieces of dried pineapple and sunflower seeds. Use your imagination and add or subtract what you like or don't like with my recipe. Every week I make a batch and have about 2 Tablespoons per day. Delicious, inexpensive and healthy too. Happy snacking.

By Joesgirl

More Tips

For more snack tips, check out these links:

Feel free to post your ideas below.

Fruit in season makes a great snack. If you cut oranges into "smiles" and place three in a (used, clean) snack bag it is a great treat for a 4 year old. Cantalope "smiles" work as well as do watermelon "points." Apples can also be cut up into managable shapes but don't store, as they turn brown and don't look that appealing to the younger set.

Source: experience

By Mainedame from Anson, Maine

Parents, are you tired of those smashed up snacks in your diaper bag or kid's backpack? I have found that if I store my daughter's Nutrigrain bars in an old hard-sided glasses case inside my diaper bag, they don't get all crumbly anymore.

I always carry snacks and bottled water - for the just in case!