VCR Doesn't Work With TV Converter

This is just a comment about the new Digital TV converter boxes. They're inconvenient for recording. To record using a RCA DTA800 converter box, you have to go to the unit and with your hand, change the channel. Suppose you want to record ABC TV at 7 pm, and then CBS at 8 pm and then NBC at 8:30 pm. You'd have to walk up to your converter box and manually switch TV channels 3 times that evening, at 7, 8 and 8:30 pm. At best, the TV converter box is as useful as your memory and the ability to be in the same room when you want to record.

The following is from RCA about the converter box:

"VCR's work differently with the digital box. When recording a program you will ALWAYS program your VCR to record on Channel 3 (the channel the switch on the back of the digital box is set to.) Then set the digital box to the channel you actually want to record and leave the digital box on.

For example: You want to record something on channel 12 at 2:00

You program your VCR to record from channel 3 at 2:00 and the use the channel selector on the digital box remote to set the TV to channel 12.

There are 2 inherent limitations in using your VCR with the digital box because of this:

1) You can not watch one channel while recording another, at all.

2) If you want to timer record two programs at different times on different channels then somebody will have to be there in between the two programs to change the channel on the digital box."

Source: RCA Assistance.

By Holly from Richardson, TX

Editor's Note: This is only for people who are using an analog TV and receiving broadcast television. Cable and satellite users and anyone who has purchased a television since May 25, 2007 should not be affected.

Having to buy new vcr/dvd recorders and tv's is annoying at best and un-affordable at worst.

I have replaced one VCR with a Panasonic DVR/VCR because it has both a digital and analog tuner and I won't need a converter for it.

I will replace the other VCR with the new Panasonic DVR 48 something for the very same reason. This is really a major pain.

I had ordered the Echostar TR-40 which supposedly has VCR programming (who knows how it works) but the company I ordered from no longer has the coupon program and won't be handling the new DTV Pal which is the new name of the Echostar TR 40.

This is a major pain in the neck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone have a converter box they like and why?

A Walmart electronics salesperson suggested I set my (Zenith) VCR to Channel 3 and the RCA converter to the channel that I want to record -- just as "Holly" says RCA Assistance suggests. Didn't work. All I got was static. Anyone out there know of a VCR I can buy that will let me program shows while using my new converter? Or maybe another brand of converter that will let me program shows with my current VCR? I've asked at several electronics stores and keep getting entirely different answers, even people in the business don't seem to have a clue.

I think it's outrageous that they couldn't have waited 10 years or so for most all analog TVs to die out before pulling this. Unfortunately, my old TV died about a year before they stopped selling analog TVs and the digital TVs were selling for thousands of dollars. So now I'm stuck with a perfectly good TV and VCR, but have no way to program shows while I'm out.

This is another tax on the people who can afford it the least. This transfer couldn't have come at a worse time. $40 come on, it should of at least been $50 and what about all the vcr's that won't work now. They really thought this out. Stick it to the middle class.

Analog vcrs and tv will work with cable, I have been told. Check it out before signing up for the service!

I can't believe the TV industry or the FCC didn't anticipate this VCR/Converter problem. Do you suppose they want to sell more DVR's? Is the FCC really there to protect us from those kind of schemes, or did someone pay someone off. If they would have announced well in advance that VCR's would be practically useless after the digital change, people would be up in arms. Now there's no choice.

June 16, 2008 Flag

We installed a TV converter to go from analog to digital and can't get the VCR to work. Suggestions?

Holly from Richardson, TX

VCR Won't Work With TV Converter

This might be of help to you:

Can I continue using my existing VCR with a DTV converter box for timed recordings?

Yes. However, after the digital transition, the tuner in the VCR won't be able to pick up over-the-air programs for recording. Instead, the input to the VCR must be connected to the output of the DTV converter box. You must set the tuner in the DTV converter box to the channel you want to record prior to the start of each recording period programmed in the VCR.

Source: (05/29/2008)

By Kaelle

VCR Won't Work With TV Converter

I just found this link by might have what you need: (06/04/2008)

By Kaelle

Digital Converter Box
Using a Digital Converter Box
Home and Garden Repair Electronics (Small)June 17, 2008
Man Repairing a Toilet
Repairing a Toilet
Cleaning Bathroom Mirrors, Reflection in a mirror of boy drying his hair with a blow dryer.
Cleaning Bathroom Mirrors
Setting Up a Carpool to Work, Man Getting in Work Car Pool
Setting Up a Carpool to Work
Woman Working Call Center
Finding Part-time Work