Debit Card Number Stolen While Shopping on a Secure Site

Any idea how a computer with a good security system and firewall could have been hacked for my debit card number? I live alone and only order used books online from reputable sites. No one could have known my card number, it's entered in on the site. I won't order anymore online, but just wondered if there are any computer gurus out there and how it happened on a secure site?

By Gerri from WI

I can only think of three reasons.

1. There are bougus webb sites that look like the webb site you have used in the past.The hackers highjack the original site but any information you type in goes to thehackers.

2. Someone at the book site you used stole your debit card numbers.

3. The site you used was not a secure site.

Secure sites have a padlock showing on their page.

A firewall and security system only protect you from incoming garbage not out going information.

I would contact the people you bought the books from.

I hope you have notify your bank.

Sorry, I got off-base with my comment; confusing 'credit' card with 'debit' card. Isn't your 'debit' card linked to your checking account??? If you're going to be doing financial transactions online, then it should be with a credit card....I doubt that a bank will provide you with any protection fraud charges via debit card...There are credit card vendors out there that will provide you with fraud protection. No site is 100%, big corporations and Government computers are hacked with regularity and their protection is much greater than yours or mine, the only thing you can do is to keep an eye on your account, at least every other day, and with a credit card vendor that backs you up 100% in the event of fraudulent charges. It's happened to me a couple of times, you have to void the card, wait 3-5 days before you get the new one, etc.

You can also recognize the 'secure' web site by the URL listed; it'll have an 's' in the address: "https://....." but again, you'll never be 100% safe, no one is.

You may also have a keylogger program on your computer. Essentially it is a malware program that records your every keystroke on you system then sends the data to hackers. There are a quite a few free programs you can download to scan and remove them Malwarebytes, Ad-Adware, etc. If these programs do not pick up any malicious files you might want to have your system cleaned by a professional. You might also consider changing the forms/saved data under your internet browser settings.

Most banks do provide protection for debit cards. It may not have been the book site that took your number. It happened to me with a card I had never ordered on line with. These crooks can computer generate numbers until they get one that works. Almost everyone will have it happen in their lifetime. Go imediately to the bank. Tell them what happened. Get the card canceled and a new one issued. File a report. The bank will show you where the charges came from and often they will be a "clearing house" type thing. You will get your money refunded. Let the bank handle it all. Do not blame the book company until you are sure the charges came from there.

Although it might be interesting to find out exactly what happened, you'd be better off getting a credit card and using it for online transactions. If there's a fraudulent charge, you do have to dispute it in writing, but you have something like two months to do so. I'm sorry for what happened to you, but using a debit card for online purchases is like playing Russian roulette with your checking account.

You didn't say what security you have or what the site was, but some security isn't any good, and some sites are not secure. I do a lot of shopping online, but I use a particular credit card with maximum of $500.

I bought from the magic jack company and the company they hire to bill, billed my card for another person's charges because they only use the last four digits for identity. This company bills for thousands of companies and they really messed me up, I had about $2000 from another person's charges. Don't ever use your debit card on line, only credit cards, I had to change my credit card number and my debit because it was connected somehow, even though I'd never used it.

A debit card is the easiest to steal from. You take it directly from the account, no credit card to fight for you.

I do paypal only. Many onlines have this as an option. I set up a paypal account at my bank, a checking account where I am allowed so many a month free, then a dime a time after that. I put into this account as I spend, so the whole balance of my world cannot be stolen. Paypal has it set so if there is not enough funds, then it goes to a credit card. Still protected. But I do ebay alot, and drop in $100 to work with until I get down to $10 balance, or need it again. The bank said that debit cards have no protection what so ever.

Thank you all so much for your time and help. I didn't think it was the book company, I guess it could possibly be someone there, but I'll probably never know, yup, lots of people said to never use that debit card, too much trust on my end. I don't want to use credit cards any longer (I just say "I'm allergic to plastic, thank you anyway." and they know what I mean). :o) If I can't send in a check, I can live without it. Thanks again and God bless you for your helpful hearts.

Computers Internet TipsAugust 12, 2010
Custom Debit and Credit Card
Ordering Custom Debit and Credit Cards
A gnome in a garden.
Preventing Yard and Garden Theft
A stack of credit cards.
Using a Prepaid Debit or Credit Card
Paying with Cash instead of a Card
Paying with Cash instead of a Card
🎄
🍂