Keeping Oil from Separating in Macaroni Salad

Whenever I make macaroni salad, within a couple of hours the oil separates from the mayonnaise and just looks oily. How can I keep that from happening and keep the creamy appearance?

By Susan

I don't put oil in macaroni salad with mayo. Try a different recipe. I thin out the mayo with some milk in a separate bowl before adding it to the rest of the ingredients. Still creamy.

Or did you mean the oil separates out of the mayo and you don't add additional oil? Try another brand of mayo or let the macaroni cool off a bit before adding it to the other ingredients.

I use reduced fat miracle whip for mac salads. Less oil. More flavor. Mayo is like cheap greasy butter spread.

First, for good mac salad, make dressing the day before. If using the whole quart of MW, I use about 1/3 jar 1% or skim milk. Ground pepper, 1/3 cup LIME JUICE 1/2 cup white sugar. Use mixer if you have to, but blend the lime juice, sugar, pepper milk and MW very well. Then add 1 finely chopped red onion, 6 ribs celery chopped small, 1 bag frozen peas NOT THAWED. I pop the cover on the tupperware bowl and shake it all very well. Chill.

Cook your pasta to al dente, rinse, cool. I like the small mac shells as the structure holds up well for left overs. Making sure I have a huge bowl, the pasta goes into the dressing and I shake that as well, don't stir. Cover on, flip the bowl over and let the dressing coat, flip back. Before serving do this too. Mmmm good. I do not use meat or cheese in my salads as the break down and contamination happens quickly. That is a 2 day salad at most. Must toss after that. I find this does not break down and separate even to day 5.

First leave out the oil. Check your mayo jar on the ingredients. If the first one listed is water, you cannot prevent the separation. You need to use a brand whose first ingredient is oil usually soy oil. Check your brands at the store, they almost all start with water. I have found that the store brand starts with oil, and I believe Hellmans does too. There is a brand called Dukes that starts with oil but it is not available nationwide.

Just make sure your pasta is cold. Heat will "break" your mayo.

Macaroni Salad
Macaroni Salad Tips
Food and Recipes Recipes Salads PastaJune 3, 2010
Macaroni Salad With Chopped Peppers on Top
Macaroni Salad Recipes
Disposing of Used Motor Oil, Used Motor Oil in a Gallon Jug
Disposing of Used Motor Oil
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway
🎄
🍂