Paint Color AdviceDecorating

Advice For Painting and Updating Kitchen

I don't know what to do to update my kitchen. I want to repaint the cabinets white and paint the back splash and walls. But, I don't know what color will look good.

I would like to get a new counter top, but don't want to spend a lot of money. My kitchen/dining room and living room are all a World Market kind of style so I would like the kitchen to match. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

By Carly from Alexandria, VA

Answers

August 31, 2011 Flag

20 yrs ago we bought an old house in the country and remodeled most of it by ourselves. My husband built knotty pine cabinets in the kitchen to give the room that rustic look. I am so tired of them as all of the ceilings in the house are also pine and the kitchen is so drab. They are also hard to clean.

My kitchen is large with lots of cupboards and an island separating it from the dining room. I would love to paint my cabinets and the walls in both rooms. Currently, they are yellow with a border near the ceiling. I was thinking of painting the walls Sweet Woodruff green, #10633, and the cabinets Northwest Passage, #10634. I got samples of at Walmart. I could interchange the colors, too, I think. My floors are a beautiful beige tile and the counter tops are burgundy.

I don't want to change the color of my counters because they are in such great shape and I love the color. Do you have any suggestions on colors that would go with them? Also, perhaps, someone has suggestions on the best paint and how to prepare the cabinets before painting them. Should I spray them with my husband's paint sprayer, or brush paint them?

What kind of handles would you recommend for the drawers and doors to still sort of maintain that rustic look? Maybe black iron? I sure hope I get a response from someone who is good at decorating. I have never been on this site before. Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing your advice in the near future.

Sincerely yours.

By Carol M.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Pictures would be great, what kind of natural and artificial lighting do you have?