Best Airtight Food Canisters for Dry Storage

What is best airtight canister/storage container available to store things like, flour, rice, and meal in? I am looking for something that is airtight. I purchased Rubbermaid plastic canisters a year ago and I've noticed they are not as airtight as they were when I first purchased them. Is Tupperware better?

By Onesummer

If you need large storage bins, check at a bakery counter at a big grocer and ask if they give away their 5 gallon "cake frosting" containers. They might offer them to you free of charge and probably will not have been cleaned of the frosting residue. Just don't take them without the lids if you need them for dry storage. Always helps to make friendly, sincere, chat with a responsive employee who may be able to "save" them for you.

For smaller storage containers, the plastic jugs that many coffee brands now use are handy for a number of dry storage uses. If you don't buy, drink coffee, find a friend that does and ask if he or she will save the plastic containers for you.

As well, the plastic, one gallon milk jugs are good, too, especially for things like dried beans or different rices that can be easily funneled in, and simply poured out, as needed.

Make sure all containers are cleaned and dried thoroughly before re-purposing.

I loved KC's ideas. Let me add another. If you can find the clear plastic containers that jerky and beef sticks come in and the store will keep them for you, that are amazing. You can keep little things inside in zip lock bags, and the screw on seal is perfect to keep them "double fresh".

This shot shows the snap on lid, but I couldn't find the other screw on kind. Those are the best ones!

Good luck!

I used to use all sorts of recycled containers until I had a terrible infestation of pantry moths! I now am investing in Lock & Lock storage containers which are bpa free in the plastic and also available in glass. They are truly air tight and recycled containers aren't very frugal if you end up having to throw away most of your pantry food!

I use those large glass pickle jars to store my sugar and flour in. I'm going to try to find more of them for pasta, etc. They have worked great for me so far!

The absolute best containers I've found are called Lock & Lock. You can get these at a good price either at www.amazon.com or www.qvc.com. Just type in Lock & Lock and do a search. They're completely air and water-proof and I use them for just about everything. No comparison to the Rubbermaid or Pyrex containers I have - Lock & Locks are so much better! Actually saves $ by keeping things fresh longer :-)

I buy flour and sugar in ten pound bags. I put the bag inside a two gallon zip lock bag. When the flour or sugar is gone I throw it all away and start with a new zip lock bag. I have never had mealy bugs.

What I use, and is air tight is a FoodSaver. You use your mason jars, and seal it, and it stays sealed.

Lock & Lock without a doubt.

In my honest opinion, the best product for scent-free storage is glass, and you can find inexpensive ones that have hinged, tops with silicone gaskets and stainless steel locking. Fancy decal letters or labels can be found in Craft Shops; the clear glass also allows you to see how much of the product is on hand before beginning a recipe and finding out that you have to make a trip to the store. Another nice little storage item is the 'glass mayonnaise jar with plastic tops', perfect for small leftovers, easy identification and no rusty lids.

Food Storage Containers
Using Food Storage Containers
Food and Recipes StorageNovember 10, 2010
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Film Canister
Uses for Film Canisters
Powdered Sugar in Bowl
Storing Powdered Sugar
Crystal Light Canister
Use for Crystal Light Canisters
🎉
🎄