"Mosquito Dunks" for Ponds

For Mother's Day, my son gave me and 6'x10' pond for my small back yard. After a short while, my daughter noticed a slew of mosquito 'tadpole' like larva swimming to the surface. I called a local nursery and they told me that they carry a product called "mosquito Dunks". I crumpled one up (Don't know if you're suppose to crumple or not), but after doing that and turning on the pond pump, my pond was not only rid of the mosquito larva (day or two for all) but the pond cleared up as well. If anyone is interested, they come six to a packet. (NO...I do NOT sell them).

Thank you.

By Mary

Get some "feeder guppies" or platys from your local pet store. They seek out and gorge on larvae; they will root them out up in the plants. Or, if you can get them, try "Mosquito fish," small, wild Guppies which are winter hardy...There are many small fish which will easily control insect in your pond. I even stock my "natural" pond with them.

I have been getting them from Mosquito Control Technology

You can find them here:

http://www.mosquitocontroltechnolog ... nid=511c652951f15bde8fd4257ffbf681a2

Sorry for the long link but they really do work GREAT!

backyard pond
Keeping Mosquitoes Out of a Pond
Home and Garden Pest Control MosquitoesJune 10, 2004
A chaffinch sitting on a rock by a garden pond.
Keeping Ponds Safe for Fish and Wildlife
Baby Loon on its mom's back.
Loon Information and Photos