Easy Pillow Quilt

This is one of several pillow quilts I made last winter. I got the idea from a lady friend who showed me how to make them. It's an easy way to have a lightweight multi-colored quilt for your bed.

I cut 5 inch squares (you can use any size you like) serged up 3 sides, stuff lightly, serge up that side. Lay one edge of one square on top of edge of another square and sew down that side. Then add another square to that one and so on until you get a strip. Lay it out on the bed to see how many you need for your size bed. Then just make more strips and sew the strips together. I used the zig-zag stitch to connect the edges together. Don't forget to blow out your machine every so often as this project can create lots of lint and clog up the machine. I did not attach a border but you can if your want to.

Everyone that has seen them really liked the idea. I hope you do too.

Happy Crafting!

By Marian from Danville, VA

Looks wonderful, a real thrifty and pretty item. Very nice!

Very nice project!

AWESOME idea. I am going to make one for our bed. Thanks for the great idea. Anne

I started making a pillow quilt about 25 years ago, where I sewed around each block, turned it right-side out (each block is 4"), stuffed it, hand sewed the opening shut, hand sewed 16 of them into 16" squares, and was going to sew those into rows, etc. Anyway, I never finished it (yes, it's still on my list of things to do). This is so much easier. I don't know why, but I never thought about making one of these with my serger. I did quilt, but my time is so limited now, and I have medical problems that make it next to impossible. But I can do this. Thank you so much for the wonderful idea! I can hardly wait to use all those fabric scraps up.

Nice to see your Pillow Quilt. Years and years ago these were known as "Biscuit quilts" My great-grandmother had a couple of them that she had made from instructions in a book. They`re not only beautiful but so cozy.

I love this idea, but I don't own a serger. Is there a way around that?

Very pretty!

On a cold day like today in WI, that sure looks inviting ! Very pretty also.

I have seen these pillow quilts done in leather and velvet "pillows" which was beautiful. The pillows were a bit more "full" so they looked like biscuits or small balls. Do you think your pillow quilt could be done in denim?

Nine patch block and tools for quilting.
Making a Patchwork Quilt
Crafts QuiltingJanuary 7, 2008
Up close photo of quilt binding.
Binding a Quilt
Paper pieced quilt top, endless chains pattern.
Making a Paper Pieced Quilt
A pile of old photos.
Making a Photo Quilt
Up close photo of a colorful koi quilt.
Cleaning a Quilt
🎄